Do you think it is okay to ghost someone you have been very close with for months and months because you got upset?

This guy "friend" did this to me, and I am really wondering. Ghosting is usually reserved for when you first meet someone and are getting to know them. Why would someone who you have known for months and months who you both cared very much for each other ghost because they got their feelings hurt by you. Why not just say goodbye. I have tried reaching out but he refuses to just say goodbye or take care. Why?

02