Communicating with an ex, is it okay?

Hello!
I recently broke up with my boyfriend of a year. We were having time apart for a few weeks and were still together at that point to try and sort things out. We both came to a mutual agreement that we should not be in a relationship and focus on ourselves to become better people. The reason we split up was because we argued a lot about ridiculous things and was causing pressure on our relationship. Also we got together too soon as I wasn't ready when he was. He suggested we separate for a bit and not see each other then in a month or when we are ready, to go out for food (like a date) and see if we can work things out. In the meantime he said we can date other people if we wanted to and continue with our lives. He said he still wants to text everyday like we usually do and if I need anything to give him a phone call or text. I feel like it may not help us get the chance to miss one another. I want the outcome for us to get back together and try again once we sort out our own issues. Should I speak to him just when he reaches out or let him know I don't want to talk to him for a bit until we feel ready to meet again? I love talking to him but I don't want it to ruin any chances of us being something down the line. Hope this wasn't too long and I explained well enough!
All thoughts are welcome! Thanks:)

91

Most Helpful Guy

• Dealing with Exes:
    Why does my ex not like me? This and that about an ex... should we get back together...

An EX means.. in the past. In my life, after any break up, an EX is out of my mind. I move on almost immediately and never think of, try to contact, check up on, etc...

Breakups happen for a reason...

I'm not talking about someone who moved away... I'm talking about relationships that ended due to cheating, abuse, incompatibility and such...

Who CARES about an EX? Who cares about what an EX thinks of them?

Then "breaks"... what's that all about? all this is is an admission you can't commit in a relationship. Taking a vacation from a relationship isn't going to fly.

ALSO... getting back together after a breakup.. or chasing someone to get back together... sorry folks, the same issues are gonna be there.

This "closure" What's that about? No such thing... So what? It's over.. there is your closure.

Move on... where you found one guy/gal, there will always be more. An EX is just one in a long line of potential exes. People typically have many relationships in their lives.

Take it from a 52 year old who has lived a while and knows what he's talking about :)

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I think if your supposed to focus on personal growth I don't see how you can do that talking to each other everyday. It's like still ring together without the title. You need space from each other. I'm not saying never speak but limit it to every other day or whatever your comfortable with

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yeah, di you think I should say this to him? Cause I feel like if we continue speaking like normal it won't be any different and we may not be able to focus as much on ourselves

• I think you should. Boundaries are goid