What Do You Think About a Couple That Divorced Over the Election Results?

• Understandable: If it can divide a country, I can see why it would kill a marriage. The political and idealistic differences were just too much.
    26%(9)21%(15)Vote17%(6)
  • Unacceptable: A single election is no excuse for the unraveling of a marriage. They should've worked it out.
    12%(4)20%(14)Vote28%(10)
  • Questionable: If THIS made them divorce, they weren't strong enough to begin with. There were other issues.
    62%(21)59%(41)Vote55%(20)

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it was the election itself that caused their divorce. It was the way the election HIGHLIGHTED their differing views, beliefs, and priorities. This election has really thrown a lot of important issues into light; issues that revolve around human rights and the very core values of what is important to our country, its people, and the world.

I think I'd have a very hard time being in a relationship with someone who didn't share my political views to begin with. But this election has threatened ideas that I never thought would be in question, so I can see how it would break up a couple who previously thought they could handle their differences.

Most Helpful Guy

• If politics or religion split them up how'd they get together in the first place? I really don't care what my partner thinks about politics or religion as long as we agree to disagree and leave it alone. If we have a problem with it obviously it's stupid to get married anyway.

What Girls Said 8

• I choose C. The election might have been the straw but the camel was having back troubles way before that

• I think it's sad but it doesn't surprise me that this happened. The was an extremely polarizing election. Although I do have to wonder if politics were THAT important to them (as in, a big enough issue to cause a divorce), then why did they marry someone with differing political values to begin with? This is kind of why I feel that being on the same wavelength as far as political views, religion, life values, etc. is pretty important when it comes to relationships.

• First of all, I think it is important to have similar beliefs and values in certain areas to have a marriage. At least, in my case, for me. These include politics, religion, work ethics, morality, lifestyle, certain long-term goals (as marriage is for life, not for 1-2 years for me).

So I believe it would be hard for me to get married with a person who supports Trump (let's assume) in the first place. Therefore, I believe this scenario is not possible to happen in real life. Or very low likely.

And if they're divorcing, if it's true, it is good for them if the real reason is political choices, because these two sides represent very different lifestyles, and belief sets. If this is not the real reason, then it is the cover-up, maybe they're wasting their marriage for something that can actually be talked and resolved.

• That's sort of stupid. There would probably have been underlying issues if this happened though

• I would never get involved with someone who didn't hold my values in the first place.

• I voted the third option. I can't belive that such a thing could separate partners in a loving marriage. There has to be something more in it.

• questionable because they should be able to overcome something like that

• C is a lame excuse and a copout for just how divisive this election was. It's completely understandable that someone would split up over this election.

This wasn't just about tax policy. It was made to be about whether or not the people we disagree with have any value as human beings. It was also about whether we value truth or will allow any lie that furthers our own position.

This election was about fundamental human decency and morality, and all it did was reveal that Republicans and Democrats are on different planets. If your partner values things like that completely differently, exactly what foundation do you have to continue building a relationship?

As for people who say "they should be able to overcome that." B. S. This isn't preference over jelly bean flavors. If you can so easily overlook huge differences in beliefs, odds are you're a shallow person who has never stood up for anything and can be easily led by someone more forceful.

And, people fight and divorce all the time over petty things. People resent their spouses because they didn't take out the trash or wash the dishes or clean the bench after cooking and they let it simmer until a breakup

THAT is something they should be able to just get over. But disagreeing over whether or not Jews should be put into a gas chamber or whether refugees should be allowed to die because they're inconvenient and believe a different religion are big issues. They shouldn't be glossed over.

What Guys Said 18

• "Questionable: If THIS made them divorce, they weren't strong enough to begin with. There were other issues."

Maybe they should have remained as a regular couple instead of a legalized married couple? But whatever, it;s their choice and decision anyway. I wonder if they had kids together before divorcing. If they didn't then NBD, just start all over, can't be that hard to staart all over again compared to starting all over when divorced with children.

• They are clueless. They both knew what party they are for before the election. Who they voted for is the same thing. If they didn't know ahead of time, something was missing in their relationship. It's too bad.

• Lol! Who gets divorced over an election. I say they didn't understand what they got into, it's for better or worse. It's unacceptable, and people like that shouldn't be married in the first place.

• ... morons...
    Thats all i got.

• I think that if someone as trivial as that could make them divorce then the marriage was never really that strong to begin with.

• People are dumb. Especially the ones that think someone should be elected cuz they have a vag. OMFG. Them idiots have come unhinged.

• Better question: why were they married in the first place? If their views are that fundamentally opposed to each other, they probably should have realized that early on. But I understand divorcing a Hillary supporter. They have been out of their minds lately.

• That's pretty stupid. Political preference is just opinions, and in the grand scheme of things their votes cancelled each other out if they voted opposite each other. They should have seen logically that neither their opinions mattered and moved on.

• I find it funny.

• It's very questionable! That's why I'm waiting on God to pick a girl for me who loves Him more than anything, is conservative, and will love me for who I am, even if I am autistic.

• Triggered hard lol

• Both B and C.

• Pathetic.

• I am shocked at the results

• theyre had to be other issues

• they are just sad because they feel the bern

• They are immature. Your Party does not matter that your an republican or an democrat.

• They obviously weren't a stable, solid couple then. If it wasn't the elect, it would be something else!