I left my abusive relationship, but I still love the person. Should I go back?

I ended the relationship a few days ago because there were too many fights and misunderstandings. We've together for 2 years and during that time, there was some abuse (punching, kicking, choking, calling names, insults, etc.) and it became overall toxic and depressive. I know it's good that I got out of it, but I still think that maybe it'll change and it'll work out. As of the moment, I might be clouded with emotions of missing him and all, but I keep thinking maybe I should accept him the way he is even with the abuse. It's not good, nor is it healthy, but I still love him and want him in my life.

I just need someone's advice and opinion and a little push to which direction I should go. And if you think there's hope that he or our relationship can change, even just a bit.

1324

Most Helpful Guy

• What caused the fights/violence? Fights, as in arguments can happen, that's natural, but violence is a big red flag. That doesn't sound like love to me, not at all. What does your heart tell you? Do you think you love him, if you have to question it? Or do you reckon it's just the craving for companionship after having broken up? Premature break ups is a thing that can happen in a spur of anger, but by the sound of what you described, it didn't sound like the relationship was overly healthy, if I am to be honest.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • The violence began back when we were physically together (I had to move away). At first we just have normal arguments - shouting all. But then one day, he got annoyed with something that I couldn't do and got impatient, which caused him to grab me by the neck (it was also in front of a child). He apologized, but after that he continued to be more physical with me whenever there was something I did that he didn't like. I started becoming scared of him and often had nightmares because of it. I didn't believe in verbal abuse before, but he would also put me down and tell me I'm a stupid bitch and call me names. It's affected me a lot and whenever we had an argument, I would pull out as quick as I can, which only fuels more to his anger. And yes, I do love him. I can still see the good in him somehow, but the bad things are just too much already. I still want him, but I don't want the relationship to continue like this anymore, where I'm afraid of everything I'll do.

• I have to be honest. Just a few months ago, we had a fight again and I couldn't take it anymore. I thought about killing myself so I took a kitchen knife and tried to cut my skin just to test it out, but it was dull. So I used razors instead and from then on... you get the picture. I didn't tend to the cuts and left them open and bleeding for two days, so know they've become keloid scars and are pretty nasty. Not once in my life did I try to hurt or kill myself, but it was just too much. On top of that, my family have ceased to consider me as part of the family, let alone their own child. I don't really have anyone to go to, nor do I have that much help either.

• See this is what happens when you try to rush through life instead of following the natural pace. Then people begin to illogically devalue themselves, and get stuck in their own web of negativity. To have a future, you need to live, and leave the present. I seriously doubt that this is how your family feels, people in this mindset you're in, tend to exaggerate the truth even if that's not something you want to hear. It's okay to rely on your parents, or even your grandparents.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Love does not compensate for you to return back to an abusive situation. You love from a far overall but the romance must end. What you need really are therapy and self-evaluation. You are 16 years old. You should not be having this kind of issue at your age. This is a time for development or else you're going to have to stay out of dating until you're are 18, in college or out the house. Any problems you're having should be directed to your parents or a trusting adult. You are who you attract. If he is abusive, double check yourself to make sure you're not abusive because I'm sure you are in some ways if not all. And many of us, if not all of us have some type of abusive tendencies and it doesn't always have to be physical or just emotional. You may have feelings for him, but as another user have said which is true, you don't love him. Because you don't love yourself to get away from him. You can't expect your situation to change if you done change first.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE