How Do I Get My Dad To Let Me Date An African American?

I believe any race can have beautiful, or attractive people. So please don't comment this with racist slurs. thanks.

I've been talking to this African American boy who I'm really starting to like. And I always thought that we would never be more than just flirting, but we are now.

I'm a white female, and my dad grew up with very judgmental and racist parents, so he doesn't mind African Americans, he just doesn't want me dating them. What do I do? How do I show my dad that just because his skin is a different color doesn't mean anything?

22

Most Helpful Girl

• gosh that's a tuffy, I'm black and white, and my mom is black ..my dad is white obviously they don't care who I date but I'm dating a white guy and his grandparents don't like black people but his parents don't care so its a little different...but the first step I say to ask yourself is this the guy you really want and could you see yourself with him if things got more serious, because the fact that he is black and your dad feels the way he feels, its gonna get hard at times not that hard but depending on how hard yor dad makes it for you guys being together...you can't change what your dad feels about black people or black guys but you can change how he feels about this one guy... by showing your dad that he makes you happy and he treats you good..im not sure how old you are but ask yourself would you ever marry out of your race? I'm just saying that because if the answer is no then do you want to get on this roller coaster your about to get on...and lets say if you do get with this guy and he treats you like a queen, and your dad still doesn't likehim because of his skin color then please please this is the most important thing you have to not care what your dad thinks about it anymore, an you have to be brave to bring him around your dad...because my boyfriend brought me around his grandparents they wernt to nice but the fact that he was brave and didn't care made me feel protected, and not as scared of what they thought about me.

What Guys Said 2

• Just ask your father to spend a single night with the guy and invite him over for a family dinner.

• I doubt you can. Even if you get him to some level of acceptance, he still won't be that happy with your decision. You can't just reprogram someone so easily. Sounds to me that you're up a creek.

What Girls Said 1

• I've definitely dealt with this before. When I was in like grade 8 I was dating a black guy and I'm Italian and Italian parents are typically strict on not only who their daughters date but also that they should be with someone who is also Italian. I'm not saying all Italians are like this but mine are. Honestly it's an extremely touchy subject but you just have to get your Dad to meet him and get to know him before he judges. Go to a grocery store get a red apple, a yellow apple and a green apple and show them to your dad. Then get him to leave the room and peel all of them really well so you can't see their skin color. Then bring your Dad back into the room and see if he can tell the difference. Let him know that it doesn't matter what color the apples were on the outside just that they are the same on the inside.