How do you guys handle breakups, more specifically from a very serious relationship?

For me, I'm very vocal on how feel, I talk to friends and spend time away from that person. While, my friend likes to hide it in and deal with it on her own. So I'm really curious on what you guys do, and why you do those things. Thanks!

113

Most Helpful Guy

• Most of the guys (including me) who were really serious about the relationship try to keep it to themselves, they cry only in front of their male pals and try to show that they r fine and the girls get this misconception that guys don't really care. The truth is that they feel empty and worthless and probably go into depression. Trust me this is true, according to my experience.

• Oh that's interesting. No, I do get that. My ex doesn't talk about it and pretends that he is alright because he doesn't want other people involve. And granted, there was a point in my time where I saw him and thought "He didn't care" and that hurt a lot, but I get it now. Thank you for sharing your opinion. I'm curious, but if you keep it in do you think you fully healed and learned from mistakes right away or does that come with time? Does the reality of "I lost a person" hit later on or in the beginning? Because for me, once the breakup happens, stop everything, ready to ball my eyes out, it's 100% over, and the pain just overwhelms a lot of things.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have noticed they move on in the blink of an eye. They fake it until they make it. I'm a woman, If I am deeply in love and attached to someone I am very emotional and depressed for quite some time then I suppress it.

• Yup, I know that feeling. My ex tends to keep it in and goes the "fake it, till you make it mentality" which is completely fine, as long as they healed from it. But, yeah how do you suppress these emotions. I tend to hang out with friends and use my ex as a motivation. For me, there are some good and bad days, but at the end of the day he is gone and he was a special person in my life (Will continue to be as a memory).

• I think it hurts on both parts to be honest whether they were broken up with or they were were the one who broke up with them. I feel like, no matter what breakups hurt because your losing a person who was special in your life and as human beings we hate rejection. I understand you guys for taking your own approach to it, and acting tough or that everything is fine. And that only is probably very difficult to do. But, coming from someone ignorant to this type of coping mechanism (Being that I need to talk it out, holding it in is hell in general), does that help you guys heal faster or better because you fake that it's ok? I would feel I guess trapped and I would feel that I'm lying to myself if so.

• breaking up and being broken up both hurt, but differently. i hate hurting people so it does hurt me when I do break up with them. and no, holding it in definitely does not make it better, I had to talk it out with a couple of people in order to start feeling better. it's really just that it's still taboo for a guy to express his feelings like that.