What the heck was going on?

Since my freshman year of high school I have had a “crush“ on the same guy. He was in my swimming class and always seemed nice. Junior year I had him in my lit class and started to go crazy about him. He was funny and just seemed like he had a great personality. I also had the feeling he was interested in me because he would always look over in my direction, etc. We talked a few times but it was never anything very deep.

Now, I have just graduated high school. Since freshman year he has become hugely popular. He's smart, athletic and plays a mean saxophone. I swear, he is one step away from walking on water. Because of that my hopes of us getting together started dissolving. I wasn't unpopular, but I was relatively quiet and not as outgoing as he was. I grew a lot this year so in March I sent him a message over Facebook saying how I was disappointed we never got to know each other and basically just let him know how I felt, but he never responded.

I don't understand how I could have misinterpreted all the signals he was sending me. He would look at me in the hallway, sometimes even smile. Other times he would lower his head and look at the floor when he walked past if he was by himself. I also noticed his friends looking at me a lot. At one point he was walking by with his friends and one of them looked at me and nudged him while smiling. I just don't get it.

Since I sent the message, he still looks at me and so do his friends. A few weeks ago he was walking behind me in the hallway with his friend and he stayed right behind me the whole way. They were talking in really stupid voices and just being obnoxious, I couldn't help but feel they were doing it to get my attention.

A few weeks ago, I was in the lunch room walking to my table and he was walking past the room (which has big glass windows so you can see the people in the hall) and he made eye contact with me for a good 5 seconds before looking away.

I just don't understand. His friends are all being nice to me and everything. I tried ignoring him late April in a feeble attempt to get over him. The day I started he must have noticed because one of his friends walked past me in the halls and randomly said the guys name. Not really sure what the point of it was, but he obviously said something about it to his friends.

The last time I saw him was at the post grad party. He kept looking at me throughout it and when they were drawing prizes everyone was crowded in the front of the room so they could see the prize table. I kept back against a wall because I was kind of bummed and extremely tired. After a few people had been weeded out I noticed he kept positioning himself so he could see me, maybe it was just a coincidence, I don't know. Then when he left I was still on the wall by myself and just before he got to the door, he turned around and looked at me, I looked back and we made eye contact for a few seconds, then he turned around and was gone.

Any idea what happened here? I just need some closure, this is as close I will probably get. Thanks for reading this book.

21

Most Helpful Girl

• this happened to one of my friends when we were in high school.

if it's what I'm suspecting, what I'm about to tell you isn't pretty at all, so if you choose to not read it, it's totally fine. and I'm sorry in advance if this offends you in any way, but I don't want what happened to my friend to happen to you.

He probably has very little interest in you, and was only being nice to you during the times that you thought he was sending you good signals. When you sent him that fb message, he probably shared it with those friends that are being nice to you. The only thing is that you're the only one that doesn't see that they're probably making fun of the situation. This could go as far as my friend's case in which she was the joke of the year where her name was used as a synonym to creepy.

What do I advise that you do? I do highly advise that you cut off all communication with him/his friends and avoid all contact with them as well. This means no more staring at them, interpreting wrong signals, and no more caring what they could be saying about you.

In the faintest chance that this situation turns out to be the best thing and he really likes you, he WILL find a way to get your attention. He WILL talk to you first, and he WILL continue trying. But please, PLEASE don't break down and be weak every time he talks to you. Just remember always, that it could be him and his 9 friends on that computer/phone talking to you rather than just him alone, which means they could be sharing a laugh while you talk to him/them.

I couldn't tell my friend all this because I was afraid to hurt her feelings. But she got hurt even more because I didn't tell her. So I'm telling you this now, and hopefully, everything will work out for the best.

What Guys Said 1

• Eye contact is a from of flirting, he might like the attention or the idea of you liking him. If he was really into he would contact you fb, chat, flirt etc if he doesn't probably not into you ...move on find someone else who is...

What Girls Said 1

• In my experience, your instinct is not misleading you, yes he liked you, but he doesn't want to try anything deeper with you. If he wanted to keep in touch you would have heard from him by now.

You were both having a nice time, had someone to pass the time with. Don't give it more importance than it really had, and don't think too much about him, you'll just end up with a headache. For now he's just a nice memory, someone you met and liked. Try and keep it like that.