Is separation better than divorce?

In a case where you have a 5 year old kid and your partner is cheating on you... what would you do? you both know it will affect the child in a way or the other..

• Separation
  • Divorce
Select a gender to cast your vote:

114

Most Helpful Girl

• Divorce is never the answer regardless to the situation. First, it is best to determine why the cheating happened in the first place, then decide how to handle the person that cheated. Once you understand the situation fully is only then can you decide if divorce is on the table. Divorce should be your very last opinion if not at all. 9/10x cheating happens because there is not enough sex in the bedroom, lack of intimacy outside of the bedroom such hugging, cuddling, kissing, etc. Divorce affects everybody differently. It is not wise to just do whatever you want because of what you feel at the moment. It's easy to proclaim divorce. But think about the kids. Seriously. What's best for them is having able parents together. If you can explain to us what exactly happened that could have lead to her cheating, it would make things a lot easier to figure out. However, This should never be our opinion. This is between you, your wife and the kids. Listen to your children most of all. Their opinion matters.

Most Helpful Guy

• Is he repentant about his cheating? Can you forgive him and work in trying to restore your marriage? Some people can do that but most people can't.

If restoring your marriage is the ultimate goal, then separation is preferable. It may be that he cheats even more during the separation and you ultimately choose divorce, but. . . if he wants to remain married, he will not cheat again. If he does cheat, you know that he is not serious about marriage and you should proceed with divorce.

Many people use a child as an excuse to not get divorced. If you stay married but don't love each other, irritate each other, argue, and are miserable in your lives, what example does that set for your child? Do you want him or her to grow up thinking that this is how people act in a normal marriage?

What Girls Said 10

• My parents got divorced when I was around that age. Me and my sister were fine. Dont worry about your kid. It's better to divorce when the child is younger so they have time to adjust without completely‚Äč understanding. If your partner cheated there is no reason for you to stay with them.

• I'd probably begin with a separation, and move onto divorce if it became clear that our marriage was totally unsalvageable.

• No I have to say it's worse and there is no point of staying legally together

• I don't know it depends if you feel it is fixable. if fixable then separation

• My parents are "separated" because they can't afford a divorce. Is there any reason someone wouldn't be opt for divorce except for the cost?

• Divorce is better

• Divorce is best for the kids, otherwise they can get confused

• divorce, although you are a guy and its generally harder for men to get custody, so good luck! be a good dad:)

• Kids sense the negativity between unhappy parents and shouldn't have to grow up thinking it's a normal relationship.

• If there is a chance of staying together and making it work then separate, if not then divorce. I do however know people who were poor and did the poor person divorce which is to basically divorce in every way except on paper - according to the state they are seperated but I wouldn't avise goign that way if you can help it -lol.

What Guys Said 3

• Separation means you're still on the hook for any bills she runs up, and she can drain your finances and there's absolutely fuckall you can do about it.

Divorce that bitch.

• Secertly gather evidence for the divorce that will show her in a negative way. Id find ways if hiding large sums of money and would make it look like we are practically broke. Women usually come out on top after a divorce because in these matters they are more calculating and ruthless and men are discriminated against by courts.

• separation is like mediation