Would you like to stay friends with your s. o. after a break up and why?

617

Most Helpful Guy

• I can speak from experience because this recently happened to me. We broke up about a week ago after her best friend of several years came back to the states for a visit and she admitted she liked him.

I get the impression that most people would either resent him for taking her from me, or would resent her for somehow betraying me. As it so happens, she remains one of my all time best friends. Admittedly it was easier for me than for most since I'd have probably been shipping them the whole time had we not been an item.

The way I look at it, she was pretty much my best friend before she became my s. o. I have always thought if you're going to have a relationship, it should be with your best friend. The simple fact of the matter is that I wasn't her best friend and I didn't have to be. She is still one of my best friends and I am still one of hers. I'd be a fool to give up our friendship simply because I'm not number one in her life.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on why we broke up and who the person is. If he cheated on me or something like that then, no. If it was more of a mutual thing I wouldn't mind staying friends and keeping things civil as long as we ended things on good terms. Tbh though there's really no point in keeping them around as friends, they always pop up again when you're happy and make you question whether or not you made the right decision in leaving them. It's just best to move on completely if that's an option

What Guys Said 16

• I am still her friend.. her family.. her everything.. we broke up mutually.. so.. we are mature enough to understand it's not about living together always.. it's about the connection.. the emotions.. the feeling.. so.. yeah. I have been friends with this ex girlfriend of mine..

• If I stay friends with an ex, my new girlfriend will be jealous af! If my ex starts telling me about the new guy she is poking, I'm gonna be jealous. Life is much easier of you make a clean break/ go no contact.

• I did and it was a mistake

• yeah. i guess so. if it is possible to be just friends yes because I feel like they are someone that you did open up to and hopefully they can give you good advice on your next relationships as long as it doesn't screw up the next one.

• No, never. I think people should move on with that part of their lives. You tried, it failed, and you should keep it in the past.

• If kids are involved, then for sure. My ex and I are friends now and it has made huge difference with the kids. No kids involved, whats the point. unless it is a life long friend or something.. no.

• It really depends. If it broke off on a sour note then no, i rather just move on.
    But if we really like each other but our personalities just didn't mesh then yeah i would like to keep in touch. If we ended it on good terms why not stay friends?

• After I move on yes for sure.

• It really depends on how the breakup went. if it went bad, most likely not. but if it went OK or they were very sad about it, maybe. but if they say they miss you, take a break for while and after about 4 months or so ask if he wants to be friends.

• You've already built up such a relationship, and you know each other so well, why not build more on that relationhsip, but just not in the romantic way?

• Honestly no if i loved her or she loved me cuz it would hurt either one or both of us, and if we didn't love each other i would

• Yes because my ex is the only one I've ever fallen in love with

• No. I get rid of them completely... I just keep the nudes.

• Never because sometimes never change... you won't feel. good when someone nears ur ex

• No because I don't think any and all attraction can just be dropped after you break up.

What Girls Said 5

• I'd like to try for the sake of our daughter.

• Depends on how it ended and depends on the person, if that person doesn't make me feel awful after breaking up then yes. If a guy is still polite to me even after breaking up then we can stay friends

• No because I can't stand the person and it cause problems

• Depends on if they're an asshole or not

• nope, because it is never like a friendship but a different thing