Why do women want to be friends after breaking up with you?

Most Helpful Girl

• We're bad at compartmentalizing. We are way too emotional for our own good, and we have a hard time letting go. Moving on is tough, and so we put it off as long as possible. Also... security. If we have a few ex's that are kind of kept on the back burner so to speak then we feel more secure.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because they're selfish as fuck; wanting their cake and eating it too.

What Girls Said 8

• I only have 1 ex. A 12 year relationship/marriage and he was abusive and is still a complete weirdo. I see no point in trying to remain friends. It would be insanity and pointless in my situation but I can't see myself remaining friends in any breakup situation. I've only been in long term relationships, it may be different for the younger crowd who consider relationships of a couple/few months as a solid relationship and then "break up" and stay friends

• Because we don't like it when people we care about don't like us. By trying to stay friends it shows that we're still good people, deserving of that care and affection even though we've potentially hurt him by ending the relationship

• I've noticed sometimes I do this, I don't have a solid explanation though. It's mostly when I find myself not wanting to part with the person completely but not wanting to be in a romantic relationship.
    I hope that makes sense? Just friends type of thing.

Some even just do it when they're not interested in you a need a "Soft" way to let a guy down, either one.

• While I firmly believe guys and gals can be platonic friends (close friends, even to the point of cuddling), I feel like that initial heartbreak would cast a permanent shadow upon any friendship that might form afterwards. With that in hand, it might be best to just break things off for good.

• @K_See I completely see where your coming from, but infant sometimes it works out. If the friendship because complex I will usually break off it completely guessing how it would just strain the person. Which would be going against what I was going for in the first place.

• The only times I would stay friends after a break up is if it were a mutual break up.

• it was not a mutual breakup. but Im not crazy I just let her do her thing. her excuse was that I put her down and she needed somebody to lift her up. 1 year dating.

• I hella don't! I'm over that shit.

• I always get this when a guy breaks up with me. I find it rather annoying. I'm only friends with two of my exs because we dated in high school. The rest of them are blocked on all of my social media and my phone and it's going to stay that way.

• but she broke up with me.

• When I broke up with my ex of 2 years who was a bit abusive. I told him we could be friends because I still loved him I just couldn't be in a relationship with him anymore. That and the fact that he was the best dick id ever had 😂😂

• Just because things didn't work on a romantic level doesn't mean that they don't want you in their life. If you really loved someone, you still care for and love them (just in a non-romantic way) when all is said and done. I am great friends with my ex and we broke up 15years ago.

What Guys Said 3

• I don't know but they're stupid for thinking they can

• Perhaps because they still like you and care about you.

• Cuz in case they can't find a new girl