How would you tell someone that they can't just walk in and out of your life when it suits them. I'm the one who gets hurt and I can't do it anymore?

My ex gave me hope that one day he'll be back but I'm not a second choice. We broke up and took time apart for some issues. However he hurt me a lot. I need to stand up for myself, because all I have done is beg and chase. I'm not a bitter person, always kind and polite and there for people. However I'm the one who people always hurt and don't care for me. It sucks especially when I'm going through a shit time. I'm tired of waiting around for him, he's my best friend and really important to me, I've always stuck by him but it's not fair, I'm suffering. He knows I'm always there that's why I need to tell him, once it's gone it's gone and he'll lose me completely, but struggling for the words. Please help me
3
1