Should I contact my ex or leave him alone?

I broke up with my ex about a year ago..
it was quite harsh the way I did it but I was going through a lot (my mum passing away, exams etc). i never really gave him a real reason I kind of just ended it and told him not to speak to me again...

he got in contact about 4 months later on snapchat and we had a brief conversation (how're you etc) but I deleted my snapchat shortly after and haven't spoken to him since.

But recently after going to therapy I realised how much I must've hurt him and I wrote this really long message to send to him.. I don't want to get back with him but just an apology that he deserves... I found him on twitter and started following him.. he hasn't followed me back & I can't message him until he has followed me back (rules of twitter) Should I tweet him? Or should I wait for him to notice that I've followed him? Or should I take it that he doesn't want anything to do with me?

+1 y
Also guys: if you were him would you want an apology or would you be past caring by now?
4
1