He broke up with me in a TEXT message and I'm absolutely heart broken and I don't know what to do?

We have been together for a year and doing a Long distance relationship for most of that time (upwards of 8 months). After ghosting me and not texting or returning my calls for a few weeks he texted me tonight ( a few days after our anniversary of meeting) and broke up via text message. It was a very short exchange I've been thinking we should see other people I don't feel a connection. I asked if I could call him to talk about it because I didn't feel like a text was a fair way to end a year relationship and told him I wasn't mad. He said he made up his mind this is what's best for both of us, he doesn't want to waste my time and the time we had together wasn't wasted and we can both learn from our time together for the future. I told him I thought breakup via text was Cowardly​ and after a year long relationship we both deserved much better and I'm sorry it had to end this way. 2 texts each and a few ignored calls on a his part and that's that after a YEAR seriously... I am angry that I dont have clourse that I need and deserve. I don't know what to do there are going to be too many places and things that remind me of him and make me upset and miss him. 💔💔💔💔 I'm absolutely heart broken. I loved this man and I had hoped we could survive this long distance relationship and he wouldn't do this to me.
Note : he is 22 (almost 23) and I'll be 22 in a few weeks. So this isn't highschool drama so please don't judge!
3
2