How do I break up with my depressed partner without hurting her? Also, in long distance relationships, do you chase the one you love or rely on fate?

I've been friends with a girl that I met online about two years ago. Let's call her Emily. We still talk pretty often and we even decided to finally meet up together for vacation. On this vacation, I cheated on my girlfriend of 10 months and had sex with Emily. Before I went on vacation, my girlfriend said I could have sex but I would need to let her know before. Well, I didn't let my girlfriend know because I figured it would hurt her. In the past few months (even before the vacation), I realized our relationship probably won't l work out because we have different ideologies about how to live our lives in the future (e. g., with money, children, and career). I want to move on, however, my girlfriend has pretty bad depression and has been suicidal in the past. I would like to ask advice from people who have had experience breaking up with depressed partners.

Additionally, my friend Emily, has the most beautiful soul and personality that I have encountered. Instead of going right to Emily after breaking up eith my current girlfriend, would be wise for me to stay single for a while? Do I need to lessen my interaction with Emily during this time (we talk almost every day and we don't consider us a couple, but it might become different if I am single).
2
5