How to get over someone when your head knows it's stupid to hold on but your heart just can't let go?

i am friends with a guy and he had a crush on me right at the beginning of our friendship 1.5 years ago, i liked him too but he never does a first move, he even told me twice so nothing happened and we didn't see each other for some time because we were abroad. i still like him today, not sure about him. we have very similar interests and a similar taste in music and movies etc. so we'd be perfect but thinking back, he wasn't really ever a good friend. i am rather a caring type of person, he is very selfish, he prefers to be among a crowd of girls who don't like me even if it hurts me because he apparently has this huge need of feeling popular and since i am just one person i cannot give this to him, i guess if i had a huge group of friends it would look different... anyway, if a guy would be like that to my friends i'd tell them do dump him and in the end it's always him who brings me down so i know it's just so wrong but somehow i can't let go. what do you do in such moments?
How to get over someone when your head knows it's stupid to hold on but your heart just can't let go?
Add Opinion