How to get over someone when your head knows it's stupid to hold on but your heart just can't let go?

i am friends with a guy and he had a crush on me right at the beginning of our friendship 1.5 years ago, i liked him too but he never does a first move, he even told me twice so nothing happened and we didn't see each other for some time because we were abroad. i still like him today, not sure about him. we have very similar interests and a similar taste in music and movies etc. so we'd be perfect but thinking back, he wasn't really ever a good friend. i am rather a caring type of person, he is very selfish, he prefers to be among a crowd of girls who don't like me even if it hurts me because he apparently has this huge need of feeling popular and since i am just one person i cannot give this to him, i guess if i had a huge group of friends it would look different... anyway, if a guy would be like that to my friends i'd tell them do dump him and in the end it's always him who brings me down so i know it's just so wrong but somehow i can't let go. what do you do in such moments?
4
0