How do you feel after breaking up with someone?

What's the dominating emotion. Relief? Sadness? Guilt?
Personally, I feel like sh*t.
Know people who don't really get affected.
Also, how did your exes usually take it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I've only really had one "ex." The thing is, before we were a couple, she was one of my best friends. It happened that she realized she loved her best friend of several years. He was a guy who moved to Europe some time ago and when he came back from a visit she finally admitted she liked him as more than a friend. The weird part was, I felt a little ecstatic when I heard she'd fallen for him. I suppose part of that was due to the fact that if we'd not been a couple, I'd have been shipping them since day one. That and the fact that she always claimed he was like a brother to her. Anyway, the point was, that when breaking up, I was really just happy for her. I always loved her and genuinely wanted what was best for her. It wasn't some super difficult thing letting her go be with the man she loved, it was simply that I wanted her to be happy. I've never harbored an ill will towards her and she's still one of my best friends. I don't see any reason why a friendship should end simply because you are no longer that person's "best friend" or you're no longer their SO. It seems like a waste of what should be a perfectly good friendship.

Most Helpful Girl

• I handle my breakups differently. I tend to question the whole situation like did that person ever care, I talk to myself to dissect the situation, I overthink and it'll happen often till I finally get over it. It depends on the bond that I had with that person because if we were close deeply then it'll hit me terribly. I tend to get over things once someone new comes along but the past hurt is still there. It's weird, but I don't feel down or anything I just feel if the person didn't care so much within the situation then I'll be the first to leave before they leave me. It's like: "I don't care." The only thing I regret is because he has my grad pictures in a mail I sent him and I still wonder what did he do with those.. probably burnt them.

What Guys Said 21

• If you are talking about breaking up as a mature person... I get a number of emotions. Ending a relationship is sad even if it's the best thing to do and regardless of who did the breakup. It's painful and makes you reflect on what went on and how it might have been made better. I can feel guilty for the things I might have done better and didn't try. Getting out of a very stressful situation can bring some relief, but it doesn't mean you don't have all the other effects. I have no interest in starting a new one for a period of time. Good or bad, a relationship doesn't have a switch you just turn on and off. It's part of you and the loss is never a good feeling. I never let a relationship get to the point of hating. It's bad well before that arises and foolish to stay if nothing is working. That is what I meant by saying "a mature person". You don't stay in a failing relationship if things won't change. Doing so just hurts both parties and is a senseless thing to do. I don't hate my exes and have no desire to push things until that emotion comes out.

• I recently went through a break up. I just keep thinking about all of the best moments we had. Every cute little smile, Everytime she grabbed my hand and took off with me somewhere. Every dinner we had, ever dress she'd wear. Every debate we'd have which just ended in her pouting and being adorable. And I keep thinking about how it's all gone, and I can't have any of those moments ever again. And it's horrible. But then I think about how happy she made me. And how great she was for me at the time. Right now, I'm happy in my life. And I'm sure that she is too. We made each other happy during that time of our lives, and nothing can take that away. Nothing can take away the time that we spent together. And even though it's over, and I wouldn't go back, I'm happy for the time we had. And now it's time to move on. But it's hard in the moment when I'm not thinking logically like that. Haha.

• Thanks for sharing ☺️
      Yeah it can be hard to think logically, i guess it gets easier with time.

• Well, I only had two, and the first was barely anything to talk about.. The second ended really before it even started.. I felt more for our friendship than our relationship.. I felt pretty dusty, but I got over soon enough..
    media.giphy.com/media/iwvuPyfi7z14I/giphy.gif

• honestly due to the circumstances (we were engaged, she was cheating) I felt a combination of servere delression, self worth issues and finally when I realised I was better than all that mess, I felt honestly, angry. like how dare she? thats faded into a vague sense of loss but, that said my current partner does a beautiful job of making me feel whole again 😊

• That's horrible, glad you're doing good now. Best of luck mate.

• It feels awful. The chief emotions that I experience are sadness, guilt and a profound sense of loss. When I’m in a serious relationship, I get very emotionally attached to the girl I’m seeing and I get accustomed to having her around me all the time. Even if I’ve known for a while that things aren’t gonna work out, break-ups always feels so sudden and abrupt. Here I am, I have this deep emotional-bond with this girl, we’ve been together constantly for months, maybe we’ve even been intimate, and then all of a sudden she’s gone, out of my life, like she was never there in the first-place. It’s painful and very difficult for me to process. And I honestly think it feels worse to be the one to break things off. When I have to end a relationship, and I know the girl is gonna be really hurt, the feelings of guilt are almost overwhelming.

• Relief.

If i was going to feel guilty or sad... i wouldn't have broken up with them

• i had a relationship... for like.. 6 years.. then i moved to another country.. took this decision cuz of her.. cuz i wanted to provide each n everything she likes. but then when i wasn't around anymore.. she started dating another one.. n so i broke up.. it really hurts bad. i usrd to cry whole nights. but then the best solution i got is. that i bought a playstation 4 .. started playing video games online.. i. e codbops 3 .. uncharted4 bla blah. started gyming.. n after a year i completely over came with this crap. its no big deal to move on if you got guts.

• free bird...

• I'd feel weird having to break up with somebody. Partly the reason I've never dated is because I feel like it would just end at some point and then I'd have to break up with them and I'd feel bad doing that lol

• never been in a relationship so I don't know
    :)

• Never broken up with someone so can't really answer

• If its meant to be fair enough but rejection kills me... that moment someone you care for turns their back... cuts me down

• it all depends on how much you where attached to that person
    and has he/she done something that changed our behaviour towards them.

• And cuz you over Analize what went wrong

• sadness, emptiness, loneliness

• Depending on the breakup, usually very distraught.

• disappointed!😒😔💔

• me im destroyed... read my storeys they will give you a eye opener

• e baby i'want see u

• Depends on how much I crushed them

• Horrible, shitty, awful, devastated, you get the idea 😜

What Girls Said 14

• I've never actually been the one to break up first. But I'm not gonna complain about it. I prefer to be broken up with rather to be the one breaking up. I would feel guilty af.

• Depends on the type of break up but mostly it's shit and you feel sad and miss them but there's nothing you can do about it and if it was a bad break up then it just makes you feel even more sad with a dash of anger

• it usually depends on what role you play in the breakup. if you're the one doing the actual break up, usually you feel relieved. if you're the one being broken up with, you're probably devastated.
    personally, I've only had one relationship in my entire life and I was the one to break up with him. i actually felt relieved because i realized I didn't actually love my boyfriend like I thought I did. but it just made me realize that I wasn't ready for love and i'm just in love with love.

• Sad.

• It depends if I loved the person or not if I don't love them I feel relied that I got all that weight off my shoulders and I feel no guilt because I normally don't get attached emotionally.

• sadness

• It's the other way around for me. He left.. don't miss them either

• I usually feel relieved. If you truly want out and do not love them it is best to move on.

• I feel relieved... I have really bad commitment issues... relationships scare me

• I feel relief and sad, a little quilt depending on the situation.

• Blank space and self pittyness.

• Guilt is the main emotion I felt. Even though it was the right thing to do, you can't help but feel guilty.

• nothing so far I've felt nothing when I broken up with someone