After 3 weeks NC with my ex, he contacts me. Why?

We went out for 9 months we go to the same college and live in the same city back home. Summer vacation began in the beginning of May. We were supposed to hang out 4 times but something always got in the way. I found out on Facebook he was talking to another girl...his ex! He couldn't hang out with me but he was hanging out with her. I confronted him and told him I was done with him and he told me he was happy me and his ex found out about each other he didn't want to be tied down. 3 weeks went by without contact. I got a fb message 3 days ago say this:

" feel bad I hope you can forgive me someday 'n' not hate me I'm not even asking to be friends but I just hope ya don't look back 'n' hate me you were nothing but good to me 'n' I should of treated ya right I just don't want you hating me forever : / well maybe I'll hear back from ya if not no worries"

What does it mean exactly? I haven't responded because I don't know his intentions.
3
1