Has anyone ever tried the 'no contact rule' after a break-up?

Did it work and how long did it take for them to contact you after the initial break up?

Most Helpful Guy

• My philosophy:
    I see all these posts about EXes... Why does my ex not like me? This and that about an ex... should we get back together...

An EX means.. in the past. In my life, after any break up, an EX is out of my mind. I move on almost immediately and never think of, try to contact, check up on, etc...

Breakups happen for a reason...

I'm not talking about someone who moved away... I'm talking about relationships that ended due to cheating, abuse, incompatibility and such...

Who CARES about an EX? Who cares about what an EX thinks of them?

Then "breaks"... what's that all about? all this is is an admission you can't commit in a relationship. Taking a vacation from a relationship isn't going to fly.

ALSO... getting back together after a breakup.. or chasing someone to get back together... sorry folks, the same issues are gonna be there.

This "closure" What's that about? No such thing... So what? It's over.. there is your closure.

Move on... where you found one guy/gal, there will always be more.

• Well said brother!
      It's harder to do what you've said but true...

Most Helpful Girl

• When my ex and I broke up we didn't use the contact bullshit. It was just too hard for both of us to completely disappear. I did menage not to call him or text him for some things when I usually would, but then after awhile I would just go nuts and call him. Same for him. Those were just "hey how are you?" and "what's up" calls, nothing big tho. It's really, really, really hard to break the routine. I wasn't that strong so fuck it. Eventually we started talking less and less and now we haven't talked for a year. We slowly grew apart, we didn't force anything. But yes it helped that we didn't talk for this long. Now I don't care if we never talk again, but I also wouldn't mind catching up either. I'm kind of indifferent. I guess it depends on why you broke up and how long you were together. My ex and I broke up mutually because we couldn't close the distance (we were together for 5 years in a LDR).

What Guys Said 7

• Yes, and it worked. It took about three weeks for her to finally break and come back to me. But, just recently, she left me again for another guy.

So, in my experience, yes, the contact rule works. But, once you breakup for the first time, it's hard to go back to the way it was before, and the rekindled relationship falls apart quickly.

• I'm going through a breakup right now myself and I think no contact is best for you to find yourself. When I was in my relationship I realised how much of me I gave to her, that I was no longer myself.

It's main purpose is for you to let go of them. Sometimes time away makes you realise that they weren't all so good after all.

Use the time away to become a better you and if she actually cared about you she will be back. Give it a month

• I Contaced her after two years needed a closure then i realized how much i was stupid to be with her in the first place so I left again

• Always and I don't know. I don't keep tabs on my exes.

• Yes, I never keep in touch with my exes. They're part of my past and I make sure to keep them there.

• i break up with someone. i stay far away from them.

• I dated a girl for 7 years, although it was a toxic relationship towards the end. but the day we broke up we didn't talk again. worked for me, not for her. and she is the one who wanted to stay out of contact in the first place

What Girls Said 4

• Yes multiple times. A few came he came back but I didn't want them anymore. One didn't, and I am happy he didn't because I would feel devastated.

Actually NC is for me not a way to get my ex back but to work on myself.

• It worked for me.

• 6 weeks and going strong! Except he's just started viewing my stories and liking my pictures again on instagram after he avoided me for so long on the app.

• If I have a real genuine connection with the person then no. Space for a month but I would mostly be their friend. Some of my best friends are my exes (2 people) but we never gone back to dating you realize some people are better off just being your friend most off the time it's not true but I try to make sure we are ok with at least having a conversation later down the line.