How do I reject him without breaking his heart?

My best friend likes me and is going to ask me out. I do not feel the same way. I don't know why, but I really just want to stay friends and nothing more with him. The thought of us as a couple is just weird to me. I don't know how to tell him with out hurting him.

Hold on, I haven't even gotten to the best part yet: he's throwing me a party. He went to a lot of trouble to throw this star gazing party (awkward) and really wants me to go. I didn't think much of it, I knew he liked me, but I thought he had gotten over me. But I then found out the truth: the party is to ask me out. I might bot even be able to go anyway! And if I do and he does ask me: what do I say?

You would think that if he cares so much about me that he would go through all of the trouble to throw a party just to ask me out I should like him right? So why don't I? Am I a horrible person?

10

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think you're a horrible person, it's just unfortunate you cannot return the same feelings because you do not feel the same way for whatever reason.

As human beings, it can be hard to control who we fall or not fall for. I don't think it is a bad thing if you reject someone, because you feel it's just not right or what you want.

I think you need to let him down gently if he does ask you out. Let him know you like him a lot as a friend, and always have done, and feel flattered that he likes you. However, you never considered him in that way, and has always seen him as a best friend only. Let him know that what he has said doesn't change the friendship and that you still want to be close friends, and want to hang out like you always done. Hopefully, if he is mature about it, he respect your decision.

There is one drawback, if he can't accept you not liking him in the same way, he may want his own space for some time, so that he can get over it. This does mean you might lose a best friend for a short period of time. So at the same time, you need to be prepared on how you will cope with his response.

Telling someone you do not like them is hard, but it's worse to leave the person guessing whether you do or don't by not telling them the truth.

Good luck!