Does the no contact rule apply if your ex broke up because of deperession?

so my ex broke up with me last week because he is depressed and he felt he needed time to feel himself again. He is currently taking medication and having counselling sessions and prior to us breaking up I tried my best to be there for him but it did but a lot of strain on our relationship. He said that he cares for me an awful lot and feels it would be bad of him to be with someone he cares about and take them through a time when he can't give enough in the relationship. I haven't spoken to him for just over a week now. I did say before we last spoke if he needed me I am here for him but said I need space to as it upset me a lot and obviously I still have feelings for him however was less inclined to contact him to see if he was okay after he did break up with me in there first place.

anyway does the no contact rule apply in this situation if he's depressed? Do you think he will contact me? Should I contact him after a couple of weeks just to see if he's okay in terms of his depression to show I do still care? Or should I just not contact him at all like any other break up? Thoughts please x
2
2