Could you really stay broken up with someone you supposedly love? if you knew it wasn't going to work out?

I used to believe my ex when he said he loved me but he knows it just isn't going to work. We aren't compatible. It's true we aren't. We are different and he can't give me the love I need. Doesn't mean he's wrong and I'm right just means I'll never be happy with the way he is in a relationship. THats why we broke up. But after months of no contact I feel like if he really truly loved me he wouldn't be able to go on without at least talking to me. I tried to re connect but he's says he misses me and will always care but what's the point of trying again. It makes me feel like he really doesn't love me because if he did, love would make him come back. Is it really possible to love someone but stay away because you know it won't work?
4
2