Should I break up with my boyfriend?

My boyfriend and I have been together for about 8 months. I'm 22 and he's 23. He just graduated college and about a month ago I asked him if he wanted to go to Disneyland to celebrate. He verified that he was able to go so I bought non-refundable plane tickets and a hotel.
It's not unusual for my boyfriend and I to go a day, or maybe two without talking. I hadn't talked to him since Tuesday, when he texted me about something unrelated to the trip. We talked on the phone today and he told me he enrolled in a short session summer class to replace the grade he got when he took it earlier in his college career. The class is Monday through Friday and has a heavy homework load. I asked him if he would still be able to go on the trip and he said he didn't know. He has been aware of this for at least three days and didn't bother to mention it until I asked.
I understand having to re-take the class and he said he'd pay me back for the tickets, but I'm still stuck going to Disneyland by myself or just not going and still wasting money.

I just don't understand how he could go so long without communicating something like this to his girlfriend who he says he loves when I was just trying to do something nice.

16

Most Helpful Guy

• It would be wrong, on GAG, to judge him on just this event. Is he usually unthoughtful on things like this or is this an aberration? Did you ask him to pay you back for your tickets and hotel? Did you mention them to him and say you wouldn't have bought them if he said he couldn't go. Did you guys discuss the trip during the month before he let you know he couldn't go? It sounds like he forget about it. Does he usually forget important things? Are you guys getting pretty tight or just dating? How did you feel about him before he told you he can't go? Not knowing things like this makes it hard to know if it justifies breaking up with him.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think you should break up with him over it. He probably didn't tell you right away 'cause he wanted to find a way to go on the trip and catch up on the class. He might have been afraid of how you'd react. You don't know what's going on in his head. Ask him (calmly and politely) why he waited three days to tell you

What Guys Said 5

• well I've Never been in a relationship, but he might just think it's moving too fast, this sound like a pretty big vacation, and he probably got into the class on purpose and is over playing how much work the class will really be to have an excuse not to go. just talk to him about it, communication is key in a relationship

• No, I don't think that's it. We've been to Disneyworld together which is across the country

• Yes sounds like a dumbass to me to be blunt. He graduated. Why retake a class?
    Yes solely on the fact he only cares of himself and not you and the plans you had made.

• thinking of himself in this situation about he's grades id love to go to Disney world donno who wouldn't wanna go

• Dude is stressed out. Probably he didn't want to got to that trip and just wanted you be there with him within arms reach.

• it sounds insensitive. and obviously he isn't making you a priority

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!