Friends after break up?

Is there a way that 2 people can become friends straight out of a break up?

519

Most Helpful Guy

• Almost never works. First if all, any attempt at being friends has to wait until both parties are fully done mourning the loss of the relationship. That only happens quickly when it is less of a break up, and more just both acknowledging that the relationship died a while back and you are actually both already over one another before the breakup. It is very uncommon for that to happen.

Second, you both really have to honestly want to be just friends. Almost always when a couple tries to be friends after a breakup, one of them is lying about only wanting to be friends. One or another almost always is just pretending to be okay with being friends in order to win the other back, or constantly trying to make it friends-with-benifits. Now, if you both agree that you make an awful couple, but the sex is great, there is nothing wrong with keeping one another as a booty call as long as you both really are okay with that and acknowledge that sooner or later one or both of you will eventually see someone else.

The other case this can work is if you were already friends before you became a couple, and both realise that you make a bad couple. Then transitioning back to friends can be a natural thing as long as it's mutual.

• It's a tricky one. A lot has to be taken into consideration I guess. I guess time will show truth. That's great advise !! ❤️ thank u

Most Helpful Girl

• Well it's possible but the feelings are still there, unless the couple broke up bc they didn't have feelings for each other anymore (both parties)

• The second way this can work. But real mutual lack of wish to get together is an absolute must.

What Guys Said 18

• Need a few months at least for both people to be on the same 'it is over' page. If you try before that it will be very rocky. You like getting phone calls at 2am with nutty ex screaming?

• I don't do relationships anymore but back when I did I usually hated them after breaking up and the feeling was mutual. Only once did I let one come back after a breakup (she cheated on me) as a friend with benefits and that lasted 2 weeks, the skank tried to get me to go down on her when the new boyfriend left a stale creampie in her, so my feeling that letting her come back was a bad idea was justified.

• Ohhh gosh

• That was dark right there haha well u will. Remembered by me included

• if you live to 122 you will be the only 2nd one in history to do so :). Even more amazing if you can also remember your own name, let alone me lol.

• Not unless the breakup was entirely mutual. its best to give it some time to purge any residual feelings before attempring any friendship. speaking from both sides of experience

• I think it is possible if both people are genuine and emotionally mature adults, however you will still have baggage and memories that might make it a bit awkward and it is also likely that at least 1 person will still hold some kind of feelings but just suppress them.

• Nope. It's a stupid idea. One will get hurt. Break up, move on.

• Never possible. Not even after a long time. Would you be ok dating a person who is still friends with an ex they actually loved a lot?

• it ia hard and quite a lot of times unlikely... but yea its possible if the friend feeling is mutual 🙂

• Horrible idea.

• Why u say that?

• After a break up you need time to learn how to be on your own. Immediately after you're still going to have some attachment. You have to go through the grieving and move on. Becoming friends will only make things 10x worse.

• Nope. He'll just want sex and you'll probably want to get back together. Just saying that's what usually happens. Because you'll never let yourselves get over each other.

• Neverrrrrrrr

• I don't know but what i do know is that there is absolutely no need for that. You broke up with him for a reason. Really brings nothing but problems, from what i see on gag. Many questions are about exs and those who still talk to them.

• Yeah, sex partners.

• Ya it's possible, I have before. We still had sex every now and then but we eventually had a fall out

• yes they can be, but its highly unlikely, especially amongst younger people

• ok so dude legit I tried that and I feel like someone always holds emotions after the relationship I personally think it's best to just dead the relationship as a whole

• It's not the worst thing but I wouldn't recommend it

• my ex denied for being a friend of mine, I have done nothing wrong but don't know why did we broke up

• So after the break up u wanted to still be her friend? Reallly?

• she will understand my value eventually

• So, do you actually want to still be friends, or is this you wanting to get back with her? Those are two different things.

What Girls Said 4

• it is rare, but possible~ a friend and i once tried to date, but we weren't romantically compatible and we just went back to being friends.

• Honestly, if something like that is going to happen both parties need to spend some time apart to get over the relationship and try to move past the emotions and attachment that comes with being in a relationship, otherwise it'll be one-sided. It also depends on how the breakup took place and why, where it was on good or bad terms.

If time passes and both people have established that they're better as friends and have emotionally detached themselves and the awkwardness goes away, it can work. But thats usually why crossing that line is a huge deal because it almost never works.

• why not? it's very possible. People can be anything and everything in this world we have a choice ( most of the times).
    As long as their wise about it and make sure to separate friendship from relationship and act with respect and self control, a good friendship can blossom

• Have u ever done this before?

• very truly amongst others, close friends, I've seen it happen. They learned things, they liked about each other but also things they didn't and then they moved on, it's quite nice when we're all together and chatting cause nothing has changed, the thing is their relationship before wasn't dependant on how much they touched each other but more so how they treated each other which is important
      Looking at it personally, I am good friends with people I've refused relationships from just because I'd rather not get too intimate without a set commitment so I can't relate to you in the way my friend would.

I hope this helped ☺

• nope. ideal, but nope.