My ex said and did confusing things at breakup and now that we haven't spoken in a while, should I try talk to him again to clarify things?

My ex broke up with me due to constant fighting and said we just didn't have matching personalities. This is probably true, but I loved him so much and we had so many other things in common that I didn't want to lose it... so I said can we try again later? He said maybe.

We stayed friends for like 2 months, and we kept seeing eachother but he would text me less and less. He did confusing things like tried to be intimate with me after ignoring me for a week, then when I asked why he was ignoring me he said that he didn't want to make it "seem like he needed me." He continued to give me these ups and downs... we would have good times together then he would remind me that it was just as friends. Regarding us dating, he went from saying he "didn't know for sure " to "I regret saying we might get back together."

Finally, I found out he had used a photo of us with me cropped out on a dating app which I felt was pretty messed up, so I confronted him about this and he never responded to me or called me again.
Its been 4 months and we haven't spoken and I just want answers. I think he loved me, he made a point to say he would always be a part of my life as long as I allowed it, and I know he was conflicted about whether what he did was right or wrong... but I also know he wants to be free/single and to talk to other girls.

I don't know why he just stopped talking to me after he kept saying he loved me as a person/friend and cared deeply for me. I want to ask him why he was so harsh towards me at the end. He said he "felt sorry for me" for hung up on him, but when I said okay then I'll try to move on... and he said "well that's not what I meant."
in my opinion, if he truly loved me and truly didn't want to be with me, he would've flat out said that and we would've talked about the whole thing until we were at a clear understanding and agreement. He never did, he just avoided me and treated me badly until one day we just stopped talking.
+1 y
I wanna add- we were together for 3 years and have not spoken since the beginning of February, so going on 4 months since we last talked.
5
1