Is honesty really the best policy?

in a relationship, is honesty really the best way to go? and I mean be honest about everything, what you like about your partner, how they act around others, their cleanliness of their homes, etc. my last girlfriend and I broke up because I was honest about something and it was enough to split us apart, she distanced herself and I ended it after a few weeks of that. what do you think guys/girls?

22

Most Helpful Girl

• Most relationships today are all based on a lie or bad reason to get together. It's better to get the true reactions than none.

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly is always good when talking positive matters and if you are being honest for a positive purpose then it's good. Being negatively or brutally blunt and honest isn't good in a relationship. But that doesn't mean you lie. You just find a way to be nice.

• it seems like this is the choice I should have done, instead of being rudely blunt. I know I messed up my relationship because of this, but I just wanted to try and see it from a different perspective. thank you.

• Well maybe you can fix it if you apologize for being so mean or something like that. If not, then just don't be so blunt next time around. Bluntness can be good in some situation but bad in others.

What Girls Said 1

• It's the best generally yes. After you don't have to be blunt about it. You can say the same things but in a more "nice" ways.

• I agree with you, I probably could have said what I said in a better way, but it's still being honest whether or not it is said nicely or bluntly

• Some people are hurt / vexed more easily. Anyway you shouldn't feel guilty for it. You were being honest and it's still better to be blunt than being a liar.

What Guys Said 1

• Not if you are a liberal.

• I don't know about her, but I don't have a political designation. I always felt that if you were honest then it would be better