The mother of my now ex boyfriend was the cause of the break up. Am I really the one to blame? What do you think?

So I've known him for some years, then we started to date. Things were ok. Suddenly he said he couldn't go out, his mother was controlling his money. Then he started getting mad at me b/c I didn't go and stay with his mother while he was at work. Demanded that I phoned his mother everyday. That I arrived at his house to see him, but arrived earlier in order to stay with his mother. Asked me to lend him money twice. Couldn't go out only if I paid. Couldn't see me in my house, and invited me to see him in his house b/c his mother demanded that he did the housework. Yesterday i was at his house, she told him to clean the house and he got mad at me for not helping properly... he got mad told me I should leave whenever I wanted b/c he was not taking me home (second time)... well I took it as an invitation for me to go out. Today he phoned, didn't want to break up... BUT... he told me his mother got very ill (yesterday all she had was a simple cold) and that I should leave my things and see her ASAP... BUT he knew that I couldnt go... b/c my mother and his mother had an argument and he knew I wasn't going there so as I wouldn't annoy my mother. Ok. A few minutes later... he texted me. Told his poor mom was very bad, couldn't even get up to have lunch. And I told I was sorry hope she gets well soon... I also told him that it was nice of him to understand that I couldn't leave my tasks to go and look after her. And it was true that I didn't want to annoy my mother. So he immediately reacted "just forget me, that's an absurd that you don't go to see the mother of your boyfriend". And broke up. Ok not counting that she didn't hide that she didn't want his son to have a girfriend... he denied it, but demanded me to do things to please her all the time. I found all the situation very strange, abnomal. But he wants me to believe I was the one to blame... what do you all think?
5
3