How exactly do you "move on" from a break up?

Everyone keeps saying things like "get over it" and "move on", but it's so hard to forget about someone. It's so easy to say than to do. I don't think I'll be happy until I replace my feelings for him with someone else, and it's going to take me a while to find someone.

517

Most Helpful Guy

• Well boyo... You are right... Things are not easy in life and our feelings and sentiments makes us the most complex specie upon Earth. Once you break up from a RP that you've invested your time in, you will feel a "mess", in fact you will be a "mess"... Afraid, insecured and always wondering if they miss you, or even think about you... Worry not, because they do... They just won't say anything.

Anyway, I've been in that zone and I got out of it. I think the best advice that I could give would be - Dont try to replace somebody, with someone else - Replacing people won't solve your mess, in fact you will hurt the new people in your life too.

Try to invest time into yourself.. Either by a hobby, a new job, new clothes or cellphones, going out with friends or playing video games. You can try photography and this I recommend a lot... travel to unexplored zones of your city or places around and capture the best shots you can get... and when you feel ready have no worries to go out and flirt once again.

Cheers :*

Most Helpful Girl

• I know exactly how you feel but I can tell you I'm out the other side and I promise it gets better. Unfortunately time is the best healer but I'll try and give you a couple of tips. My best one is get angry!! If there's any way you can, turn the sadness into anger and it won't hurt as much. Surround yourself with people that care, not the ones that refuse to understand. My mum was my saviour, I was at uni when my relationship ended and I was on the phone in tears to my mum almost every day, it was a nightmare but she got me through it.

• Cry!! Cry as much as you want, let it all out!! Do stuff that makes you feel happy, shop, spend time with friends, watch funny films! Avoid sad music or sad films and if you can avoid looking at old pictures etc.. just avoid the memories for now. If you have any reminders of the relationship put them away somewhere, you don't have to throw stuff away but you don't need to see it everyday. Just spend time with the people you love and time will heal I promise!! If you really want to meet someone then it can help, you could go out or even just chat to people online on something like tinder, it just helps take your mind off things and can give you a real ego boost! I hope this helps and I'm more than happy to help more if it's needed! Don't worry it will be okay! Xx

What Guys Said 16

• it does help usually, however you usually end up having a short relationship and end up right back where we started. It sucks I know. I'm am horrible at breakups. My ex and I broke up 6 years ago and was the only woman I truly loved. even after dating a couple people since them I miss her lol. Time is the only cure but staying busy helps a lot

• Don't do that. No one deserves a relationship where the other side only wants them so that they wouldn't be alone. Move on from your ex first and only THEN can you find someone else.

• For me, I just get high and fuck other people.
    Which is probably not a healthy way to cope, but it works for me so yeah lol

• It really is a shit place to be in. All the people suggesting distractions have a good point, as you need to find a way to navigate the time it will take for the absence of this person in your life to heal.

My own shitty two cents is to remind yourself why the relationship was ended when you feel you can't be happy again, or when you miss him. If it was something you did, then use your newfound time alone to reflect and work on yourself for the next person you find. If you broke it off, then remember why. After time you'll find yourself missing him less and less. Hang in there, it gets better.

• Fastest way: fuck someone else.
    If you jump into a relationship without dealing with your current emotions and baggage, it will fail. So don't get on that rebound. Just get a casual sex friend.

• You have to completely cut them out of your life.

Block them everywhere, hide any pictures or gifts from them, don't stalk their social media profiles.

DO NOT CONTACT THEM OR REPLY TO ANY CONTACT THEY MAKE TO YOU!

• try to do thinks which will make u smile n help u to move forward nythng like spend time with ur family friends n even u can go for a trip in somewhere... may be

• keep your self busy start trying new things get into a new routine that excites you and your past will become your past as you will always be excited for whats new coming into your life

• I wish I could tell you it was easy, I'm feeling the same way... to much love and no one to give it to, to much time and no one to share it with... hang in there

• Drugs n booze n sex

• time and distractions

• spend more time with friends and less time alone

• Time, I'm still going through one rn and I'm just relying on time to heal

• u find a new person to fuck

• time heals all wounds

• eilish?

What Girls Said 4

• There's no answer to this. All you can do is continue with your life and wait for that moment when someone new comes into your life. It will happen eventually, you can't pressure it. It's like waiting for a wound to heal. And there's also no right answer for how long it will take, it all depends on coincidence, it might take a month or it might take years. Finding yourself a hobby will do a great job by the way, something that you will enjoy doing every day. For me it was playing video games and reading books. I think I read like 150 novels ever since I broke up with my ex, lol.

• You don't as in just snap your fingers and the feelings for your ex are gone.

It takes time and a conscious effort to remind yourself that this person is in the past, and not someone you hope/wish to reconnect with in the future. Which it doesn't sound like you've done so... until you drop that belief of how your happiness depends all on this one person, well- you're never going to 'move on'.

• It's definitely hard to just "get over him". The best suggestion I have is to try and distract yourself. Find new hobbies that you enjoy and start thinking for yourself. The more you do it, you'll come to find that it'll help you more and more. You'll eventually get to a point where he won't be on your mind anymore. But you really have to be serious about wanting to get over it, because if you still have him in your contacts or on any social media.. it will be THAT much harder to move on from him.

• if nothing is keeping you connected
    then time will fix it