What would you think if I did this?

I'm thinking of taking violin lessons, but I'd love the satisfaction of being able to say "oh yeah, I taught this to myself."

But I know lessons would be much faster, however, I feel like If I taught myself, id be respected and awed more. I know I CAN teach myself, it would just take a lot more time.

What do you think?

• Teaching yourself but taking longer is admirable
  • There's no difference to me
  • Taking lessons but learning faster is admirable
    Vote C

34

Most Helpful Guy

• As a pro I can tell you take lessons. I make good money playing and I still take lessons. You are always learning your whole life. Somethings its good to teach yourself, but lessons ensure steady progress, proper technique and correction of mistakes early on. I grew up in a small town with nobody to learn from. I taught myself how to play for about 5 years. After developing bad habits and playing "wrong" (bad technique) I had to spend years unlearning the bad technique.

Most Helpful Girl

• What does your heart want the most? If your goal is to teach yourself go for it. But if you are just trying to check off a box - "hey I know how to play violin" - then take lessons. It's all in what truly matters to you

What Guys Said 3

• It wouldn't necessarily get you higher reviews or respect, put people in awe? Absolutely but you can accomplish this by being the best you can and who knows... best ever? Getting taught is faster, but if you've got time, go for it.

• Admirable

What Girls Said 2

• If you can get a teacher they you can get extra advice and they can refine your technique and get feedback. If they can get you started off then once you get in to the flow you can teach yourself to some extent.

• personally i'm super stubborn so i hate going to classes for skills. i'm currently teaching myself how to produce music & play the bass guitar