Shared "custody" of a pet after you break up?

My ex and I adopted a dog when we were together, and when we split I was the one to keep her (it made sense, since I did 99% of her training, care, and vet appointments). It's been almost a year since the breakup and my ex just asked me if I'd be okay with letting my dog stay with him for a week, from time to time. Keep in mind that we live about 2 hours away from each other.

On the one hand, I feel for him... he misses her and I feel kinda bad that he doesn't get to see her anymore. But on the other hand, she's my baby and I don't want to send her to live with someone else - particularly him, who I don't trust to take care of her (like I said, I did almost all of her care when we were together). Plus, she doesn't handle change very well; when we moved out, she started having accidents in the house.

I don't want to be one of those women who keeps her "kids" away from their "dad" after they split lol. But this isn't a kid; this is a dog. I'm confused why this would even be a thing. Why can't we just leave it how it is? Why complicate an already complicated breakup?

Anyone have experience with this? Am I being selfish or is he overstepping his boundaries?
3
2