How to get over a break up?

We dated for two years, It's been 6 months since we broke up and I'm still in denial I feel like we'll get back together. How do I get over this and stop the ludicrous idea we'll get back together?

33

Most Helpful Guy

• Hate is very good. Try hate for all the shit that's happened. Hate almost always wins against love. Hate him for wasting your time.

cynical you say? pfft you just haven't tried it yet.

OH I don't mean indefinitely, just for a while until you don't care anymore.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been in the same situation. I know, its hard. The thing is now what you have to do is get busy. Get extremely busy. However you also need a rebound. Find someone hotter or sexier and then show him off to your ex. But only do this if you really want to get back together as this will make him jealous. However if you're trying to not get back with him and come out of denial then well.. here are the steps-
    1) delete him from your phone. pictures, conversations, everything2) block his number then delete it. you don't want to see his name when you're scrolling through your contacts but neither do you want him calling you or you trying to call him, acting desperate which is NOT something that you want.
    3) Immerse yourself in work, hanging out with friends etc.
    4) on the note of hanging out with your friends, ask them if they know someone you might potentially develop a relationship with. Most likely they'll come up with "results".
    5) Get him out of your life completely. at least for some time. Since you might want to be friends later on. However, only once you're over him and you've moved on. If it was a bad break up then stay, stay away from him. You don't want to see his face anymore.
    Try this. Trust me, it will work. I did the exact same thing. Good luck!

• I mostly agree except for the rebound thing. Keep yourself busy with things that don't have associations with your ex. Maybe set one day a year when you allow yourself to remember, to listen to your shared playlists, whatever - but then put it all away until the following year.
      But don't find a rebound? It would be unfair to them unless you told them up front that they were a rebound. And what if they (or you) catch feelings?

What Guys Said 2

• find a hobby.

• Best way is to find another guy. You'll forget your ex in a day or two!

What Girls Said 2

• Find someone else and keep yourself busy.

• I've always found that finding new hobbies and doing things that make me happy. A make over or decorating. Changing old things so I don't remind myself of the relationship. Plan a trip and make new memories. Also weekly therapy if you're into that kind of thing