Should I text him or wait?

Me and my ex have starting talking again after realising things, and we are just seeing how things work out. We had many months of space apart in the time I changed and grew up, and I didn't want to lose him so I fought for him, he's real important to me. As he was my bestfriend prior to dating, so we are friends at the moment but it's more than friends.. but we aren't dating as it's not the right time. We just want to get to know one another again and start afresh. We have a really good bond and a deep connection, and things seem to be going well. We are just enjoying each other's company. He flirts with me and talks to me more than a friend. I still love him and he says he likes me a lot. But understandably he is hesitant due to our past so we want to take things slow and says he's young and doesn't want to make any commitments. But I feel as if he doesn't like me at all and isn't interested. I asked him a few days ago if I'm doing something wrong and he said I'm doing nothing wrong but I expect things like nothing happened and he says I try too hard. I make effort because he means a lot to me and I want him to have a good impression of me. It's hard because we are long distance. We text throughout the week everyday, and however on the weekends he texts me maybe once or twice or just doesn't talk for a day or two. Which is fair enough as he's busy and perhaps with his friends. I don't expect him to text me 24/7, I just find it rude when he doesn't respond and doesn't initate conversation after he's ignored my texts. I don't want to look stupid and text him again and again, but I just find it unfair and I felt that today is a new day and he should have messaged me but he didn't. I always give him importance and make him a priority, I don't want to play games, and if I bring it up to him, he will say that stop be crazy and you wonder why I'm hesistant and that I'm not on my phone 24/7, I have things to do etc. He hasn't spoken to me since Saturday
Should I text him or wait?
Add Opinion