He said he was a looser, not a real man, only brings negatives to the relationship, why did he break up with me?

My boyfriend (age 48) broke up with me after we dated for over three years. The entire time we have dated he has referred to himself as a loser, a failure, not a real man (due to erectile dysfunction that we have tried everything to treat), that he only brings negatives to the relationship and I am getting the raw end of the deal. He has four children and struggles to provide for them. He has applied for at least 50 jobs and only until recently has he gotten interviews. The interviews as far as I can tell are mainly because I have started helping him with the application and supplemental questions. Not lying about his job experience, I just write better than he does and provide more information on each question. All the while, he has been telling me such negative things about himself, I have always told him no, you're not, you're a great dad, you're a real man... I started getting frustrated the past few months because there hadn't been any improvement in him, with the exception of some easing up of his depression after we got him medication. We both had been through very similar divorces, his 6 years ago and mine 4 years ago. I have managed to double my income in the past two years, and get my shit together. And, I started painting again and actually selling my art. He seemed to be constantly jealous of my successes but also seemed proud. Anyway, lately I started thinking negatively about myself and verbalizing it. I think his negativity and low-self esteem was affecting me and I was catching his negative attitude and self-worth. He broke up with me saying that I was trying to change him (I wasn't, I was always there to help him at his request), that I wasn't happy, he couldn't make me happy and that he loved me, still had feelings for me but this would be the best thing for me.
I have no idea how to deal with this? I am angry he didn't have the same patience for me as I did for him. Will he regret his decision?
2
1