Found underwear in his car that weren't mine, broke up with me because he felt like I "didn't trust him", did I deserve to get dumped?

A few days ago, we were going on a date but last minute he decided to bring his grandma which bothered me because we hadn't gone on a date in a while.
When I open the back door of his car to sit, I found underwear that wasn't mine on the seat and asked him whose underwear it was. He explained that the lady who usually takes care of his grandma or his mom gave them to him because it wasn't his moms nor sisters so he assumed they were mine. We were together for 3 years and 8 months so in my opinion he should know what my underwear looks like in the first place, any time I get a new pair I show him. I was in disbelief and I was confused because even if the story might be true, where did they come from? He didn't even text me saying he was bringing "my underwear" anyways. He was the one who ended up breaking up with me and now he wants me back but I'm hurt that he left me. I've put so much time and effort into this relationship and sometimes it feels like he hasn't, We also have his mom who controls his life even though he's 21, I already have my own apartment and I'm 20, but he didn't have a job so I wasn't going to let him leech off of me. His mom wants to keep him forever, I guess that's why she hates me. I already told him I need my space and stuff. Was the was I reacted not reasonable? Did I "deserve" getting dumped? I trust him but it's just the story doesn't add up...
3
3