When do guys give up?

It's been almost a year since my ex broke up with me. We dated for three years and at one point tried to stay friends but we know that doesn't always work and it just made it harder so we aren't trying to be friends at this point.

What I'm trying to figure out is when do guys give up on the girl? My ex still texts me every now and then but I rarely respond now days. When will he give up with all the "hey how are you? what you doing?" texts? I think he is just playing mind games at this point and wonder when will he stop? If I stop responding period will he just keep texting?

Guys why do you keep texting if she doesn't respond or when do you stop texting her?

11

What Guys Said 1

• Sometimes never.

Ok, hopefully not that long...I mean eventually, one of you will get married, die or something else. But you get the point? Guys don't like quiting or losing. We can be very stubborn that way.

If you want to deal with this, passive aggression is the worst thing you can do.

What I recommend is to be as direct as possible. Tell him, "You're texting me way too much, and it's getting to be annoying. I have a life you know."

If he's not really texting that much, but you just want him to stop texting altogether, then I recommend you give him a different way to communicate with you -- calling, in-person, Facebook whatever. You tell him that if he wants to talk to you, he can, but you don't want him to text you anymore.

This is reasonable I think. I frequently tell people that if they want to talk to me, they have to call because I hate texting.

In my opinion, texting is a very cheap and lazy form of communication, so if you raise the bar, he may decide it's no longer worth it and give up.

It is just better to give him some way of staying in touch, instead of just cutting off all communication or ignoring him. That way he can come to realize on his own that he's wasting his time and just move on. This is likely to happen quicker than if you block him completely.

Of course, if he ignores your wishes, and continues to text him when you ask him not to, then you have full justification to retaliate and tell him you're never going to speak to him again since he doesn't respect you.

What Girls Said 1

• I've had the same problem. I've known my ex for quite a while and we broke up. But he's always tried to get back with me. It was difficult at times because I was in a new relationship and it caused a lot of problems. Eventually he realized that we were meant to be good friends and that's what we are now. So maybe your ex just wants to stay good friends and doesn't realize he's bothering you