Is it possible to be friends with an ex?

So this guy I was dating broke up with me recently, and I was wondering about people's takes on if it is possible to be friends with an ex. This fall we'll both be freshman at the same college living in the same dormitory (different floors), and I'd really like to stay friends with him. When he broke up with me he said he wanted to remain friends, but it's been almost a week and I have yet to hear from him. He was my first kiss and the guy I lost my virginity to, so I still care for him and he means a lot to me. Of course I'd like to think one day we'll actually be together, but I can stand to be his friend if I can make it work.

179

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes it is possible... but not to many people can pull this off.. jealousy and immaturity gets in the way..

What Guys Said 8

• I wanted to get back with my wife, years ago, and my dad told me if you follow my advice, you'll get her back. I agreed. First thing he said, call her once a week, all her how's she doing, listen, then tell her you bought a plant for the home. Then close politely, don't beg or say anything else.

It was hard, but I wanted to trust my dad, so I did as he said.

Next week, my dad said do the same thing and this time tell her you remolded a room. I remolded the room and on the day off the call, shared the news.

My dad suggested a few other things to say, and after a few more weeks of calling once each week, I asked my dad when do I get her back?

He said patience, do you have a girlfriend? Yes, I replied. Good, now next time you talk to your ex, at the end of the convo tell her you have a date and got to go.

Point of all this is my dad was teaching me how to live, hey on with my life. In my conversations with my ex, or communication was better and she was engaging me thoughtfully.

Years later, my ex and I have an incredible friendship, which is where people strive to have but can't when they're too busy bargaining for something they can't have cause they're not living their lives.

Sooner you cut the cord, get on with living, sooner you'll enjoy life once again, and who knows, maybe reconnect with your ex and enjoy being friends

• I’m still friends with my ex. We don’t have any interest in getting back together but sometimes when we’re both single we mess around for fun.

• Probably.

• I'm still friends with my ex wife

• If you see a possibility with him in the future then go for it, but if you don't see a possibility with him in the future then I would advise against it

• Yes, it is possible I am still friend with my ex

• I've never been friends with an ex, no way

What Girls Said 17

• I dated before going to college. He was a sophomore. I was a freshman. Same school. We tried being friends but I wanted to get back together and he didn't. It ended badly. We never had sex or any of that. I felt he basically just wanted to keep me at arms length as back up when other things fall through. My personal advice... it's probably best for you to not be friends with him until after you're completely over him because it is college and you're going to see him talking to other girls, you're going to get upset when he doesn't reply to you and get suspicious as to what he's doing, etc. I went through it my freshman year and was so unhappy. That's just my personal advice.

• u have to wait a while... it will be hard ik I've had experience even though yr older but ya know give its at least to months then one day when u think you've gotten over him y'all can be friends. trus me if u give it some time it will be better because if u atoumaticaly be friends right after then u will be even more heart broken because all u will think about is what will never happen again. please true me u gotta avoid him for at least 2 months an get yr mind off it like go to party's talk to other guys make lots of good friends go shopping stay single for a while n focus on yrself for a while... ik it will be very hard but don't worry time will heal n if u need someone to talk to I'm here for ya even though we don't know each other✨

• You can only be friends when all of your emotions and feelings for him is gone and you let it go. Because if you start thinking it can work again, forget it. It will make it more complicated and bring back all the hurt that made the breakup happen anyway.

• it can work for some people, but both have to want it, and sometimes it is slow going. don't be shocked if you don't talk for weeks or its not the same as before. Personally I avoid doing the friend thing, but it has worked for me and one of my ex-boyfriends lol. good luck

• I believe in the saying that you can only remain friends with an ex if you were never really in love or still are. It's always the best to end it on good terms, maybe even occasionally hearing from each other, but once you're exes it should be over for good.

• Well I'm still friend with my first love, and I no longer love him 😊

• Yeah, it's possible. Depending on how much you both put into the friendship, it can be really good. If he doesn't seem to care about him, don't put that much time into him either. Don't go out of your way for him. Do extend anything behind what he doesn't do for you.

• Yes, when my ex broke up with me he said that he'd like us to stay friends. I didn't talk to him for like 3 months to forget the feelings I had for him, and when I felt ready I recontacted him. It's been more than a year, we're still good friends and we both found someone else 😊

• I mean sure but it's a really hella bad idea!

• I think it could be possible, but I don't think everyone can do it.

• Ofcourse it is.
    Me and my ex used to be best friends before we started dating and we still are. It has been one year since we broke up.

• I think yes

• You could do it. You'd probably catch feelings tho.

• I think it's deffinatly possible. seeing as how my first ex is now still one of my bff

• I'm friends with all 5 of mine

• I think it's ok to be friends with an ex, (actually it's a different kind of intimacy, it's pretty cool!) BUT as long as it doesn't hurt you or him

• nooooooo

• Then maybe you have to keep your distance for a bit.