My Boyfriend Just Broke Up with Me After 5 Years Together. How Am I Supposed to Move On?

My boyfriend just recently broke up with me at over 5 years together. I have supported him with his many issues over the years, mainly his toxic relationship with his family. Over the past year, I have been struggling with being unemployed (after graduating with my MA) and he just couldn't handle that anymore. I feel like he has given up on me and now I am lost. I don't know what to do with my life now. How do I move on? I am just really hurt and confused right now and could use some advice.

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all, hello.

Love is never a 50/50 contribution and it seems like you contributed much more than your partner. Neither is it 50/50 dedication, as you can see from the fact that he left you. Breakups are never easy, especially the ones that end a relationship spanning for years. Now it would be a good time to seek consolation from your family members and your friends. Get yourself distracted. I know you won't be able to distract, but TRY. Even trying counts!

I'm not old and wise, but I know a couple of things about relationships. Wait out for a little while and contact your ex, maybe he changes his mind and comes back to you. If not, then I'm sorry, but he's not worth anybody's love.

Try to find someone who will listen to you! It absolutely doesn't matter who will it be, they should just listen to you venting. It will relief the stress.

Be strong. Best of luck to you!

Most Helpful Girl

• Time. That's the only way you'll move on. There's no magical spell or pill to get over someone. We all want to get over someone the day after, but it just doesn't work like that. Whatever you do, it's still going hurt for a while.

What Guys Said 5

• I suggest talking to him and trying to mend the relationship. Couples are supposed to deal with problems together especially if they are tough, that's the whole point of relationships, to alleviate life's suffering. If that fails, the only option you have is to move on. Be around more friends and family and that will ease your feelings.

• Sorry to hear about your bad news, don't dwell on it, he wasn't strong enough! that isn't your fault, get your friends around you, use your family as support and get out and achieve small goals everyday, small things like cook a new dish for your dinner - every little win will build your confidence! get out and about, meet new people, even if its just aquintences.. the more people you meet and the busier you keep yourself the sooner you will forget all about him and be in a much better place yourself. Good luck

• 1. Consider it over
    2. Understand that the Five Stages of Grief will bounce back and forth and might even all hit you simultaneously, and could last a long time
    3. Start with getting out of bed, feeding yourself, forcing yourself to think about something else. You'll eventually work your way up to "moving on"

• He probably have seeing it's an official breakup but that does not at all mean that your do to move on and find someone that will appreciate what and who you are there is someone for everyone...

• Is he with someone else?

• No, he said he just wants to be alone right now.

• Sounds like someone else is involved. Of course I could be wrong.

• He is a brutally honest person and he told me he is not cheating. He just needs some time to himself. I know He doesn't handle stress in his life very well, and I am guessing he was just at his breaking point. I just thought when he promised me years ago that he'd always be there for me he would stick to that promise :(

What Girls Said 0