Is it justified to break up if you find out they like someone else?

Basically I broke up with my girlfriend of 6 months this evening because I found out she liked someone else through a text she sent to one of my friends I asked her if she liked anyone else and she kept saying she didn't even though there was proof.

So I told her I didn't want to continue this relationship and it had been a good run and I still love her but if she didn't love me there would be no point persuing this relationship any further

Is this justified?

after this she kept begging me not to break up with her and I'm the only one that makes her happy and she loves me... Now 4 hours later I regret breaking up with her and am having thoughts about getting back together but I need your opinions is it worth it...
because if she likes someone else I feel like she's just going to break my heart again and again

So I have no idea what do you guys think

And I know I'm young but it doesn't matter I just need some Input..

thanks

tiddle

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends. If its a simple case of "I think Joe is cute looking but my boyfriend is great" then I don't mind. If its a case of "I wish I was single to date some other guy" then yes break up.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well i mean she liked someone else... afent you supposed to be with the obe you like... i mean only onstance that doesn't happen os in an arranged marriage. I say ig she liked someone else then she wasn't for you... you dont need some fake woman in your life.

What Girls Said 14

• If she liked someone new, it means she didn't really like you that much in the first place. I suggest not to continue anymore... She probably just wants you as a back up since she's not certain if she can get the other guy yet...

• there are many definitions of like: having feelings, attraction, and love. let me break it down:
    having feelings- you feel some sort of attraction towards a person and would enjoy a relationship
    attraction- thinking someone is good looking, but not necessarily wanting a relationship
    love- devotion and infatuation towards a person, most likely already in a relationship with that person
    if she had an attraction towards a guy, then i think it was wrong to break up. people can't help if they think someone is attractive. any other option, i could see why you would want to break up. if you're in a relationship, you want that person to be fully devoted to you.

• Well hmm I have been in this situation before and I just got into a relationship and I've told him about other guys that I still have a small amount of feelings for and am getting over them but I like him way more and that continue to grow everyday I'm with him and out of respect even deleted one of them off Snapchat due to him texting me not flirty or anything (just like hello) and me and him have had an honest conversation about this so I know his side and he knows mine. I hate lying and never could. But the fact that she didn't tell you about it and denied it on top of that well then I see where your coming from. I say talk to her and find out more

• Sometimes people think "that person is cute or fun" but they still think you're cuter and more fun.

• What were her feelings specifically? Was she pursuing them? Did they start effecting your relationship? Was she in-contact with this guy, if so how did they engage with one another? How did she engage with him?

I can understand why you would want to break things off, when someone has feelings for another person, that can start effecting how they behave in a relationship but if her feelings didn't cause any problem, I'm not too sure. There was another guy I liked during my past relationship, but those feelings were put on the back burner. I didn't flirt with him, my contact was very minimum and I didn't bring him up to my boyfriend.

It's about intent but also behave. That's important. Even though how you handled it was very mature. I'll give you that.

• I think you should tell her you saw the message, so best for her to come clean about it, if she wants to have any chance of getting back together.

But tbh she's 14... so I don't know if her feelings can be that consistent. Maybe she is still fickle... and maybe, well just maybe you did the right thing for yourself.

• You definitely did the right thing. You have no reason to date someone if they have interest in someone else. And that whole "youre the only thing that makes me happy" is a gimmick. its a lie. it use to convince people to stay. its been done to me, and I've sadly done it to others. Dont get with this gal again man, you deserve better.

• Depends. If she genuinely liked him, it was stupid for you to break up. If she wished to rather be with him than you, you did the right thing.

• If she likes someone else, is she just waiting for that opportunity to open up? Or is it just a case where she finds someone else attractive? That would be a bit extreme but if she has relations with this "other guy" then your in the right. Too many people allow them selves to be contingency plans

• You'll be okay. You did the right thing, you'll find someone who only like you. you got time ❤

• I think you made a mistake. Things like that happen in a relationship. What if it was mere infatuation and she got over it.

• Listen if u know she likes someone else and she's denying it when there's proof don't. If u love her u'd want her to be happy instead of lying or being only half-heartedly in the relationship.

• you sound really mature I think you did the right thing there's no point if your second best to someone else

• best choice

What Guys Said 5

• Not for just liking. If she loves someone else it's justified.

• Yeah

• Yes but get as much tang as you can

• be a friend first.

• Let her sweet abit you soon tell if she is still wants to be with you or wuth the other bloke