My ex boyfriend and I called it quits and promised to get back together. Does it ever work for anybody?

We (21 & 25) dated for 7 months. We called it quits due to circumstances we cannot control. We tried to work it out but I grew tired of our seemingly dysfunctional relationship and it made me withrew emotionally. When he was emotionally unavailable, I was, and vice versa. We were always the opposite. It was tiring, one-sided, and made me feel unsure about whether our relationship is salvageable.

We broke up. And for the past 3 weeks, he was trying so hard to get me back. But I was unsure and told him I needed some time apart. Weeks passed and I was still unsure, because I know our problems would still be there. Maybe permanently. But we both still love each other so much. Last week, we decided to break up for now and fix ourselves first. It was so hard for both of us, so we promised to get back together when we're both more mature and can fully commit. I told him he can date someone else, but he refused and assured me that our time apart would only be to make him a better man and focus on his work.

We still talk sometimes and he has told me he still loves and deeply cares for me. But it feels like he's avoiding me and I'm confused. We planned to have coffee yesterday but he didn't contact me at all. Now I don't know what to do. Can anyone enlighten me? I'd appreciate it so much.
3
1