Does the length of the relationship matter if you cheat?

I have been dating a guy for less than a month. I cheated and I feel disgusted with myself and realized how much I really feel for him and want to be with him. Should I tell him what happened? Is it even worth it to say anything because the relationship is not serious yet? I wasn't really talking to the guy I did it with and did not enjoy it and stopped him during. Does any of this matter? How can I get him to stay with me?

23

Most Helpful Girl

• What do you mean by "dating"? In my book, dating is just that... going out on dates. If you are in an exclusive relationship (both agreed that you aren't going to see any other people) then yeah, you cheated. Whether or not you tell him is up to your conscience. You two aren't particularity invested in each other, so not telling him may not be a big deal. But lying is lying, and if you feel like the guilt will eat you up, then tell him. You don't want it to come out a year from now, when you are invested in each other.

If you have not had the talk, then don't tell him. It is none of his business. You haven't commited to him and he hasn't committed to you. I always date multiple men at the same time, but they also know I haven't made any commitments to them. When they want me to commit, I then make the choice of giving everyone else up, or not. Usually not, but sometimes, if I really like him, I do. Anyway, it may be a good time to have that talk if you haven't had it yet. It seems like you may be ready for it.

What Guys Said 3

• not saying anything is just as bad as lying

but cheating is the 'deal breaker' and its tough to hear it and say it

the fair thing to do would be tell em, and tell him how much you care and let him decide what to do

good luck

• Yes, it's necessary my girlfriend waited 6 months to tell me something. That would of changed our relationship at the time. But anyways he has to decide on wheter he still wants this relationship or not.

• Cheating is cheating. Hurts worse when you find out later on. Personally, if you care about him that much.. you need to tell him.

What Girls Said 1

• It doesn't matter how long you've been dating cheating is still cheating. Telling him is the best thing you can do. Don't give him excuses on why you did. Sit him down and tell him what happened, why you did, and that you didn't like that you did it. Don't forget to apologize for the mistake you made.

Good luck. I hope that everything works out.

-Kelsey