When do you know it's time to give up on someone?

When you're in an on-again off-again relationship with someone you love more than anything in the world but each time you're back together they seem to pull away from you and send mixed messages (one night saying I love you, you can spend the night if you want, the next minute not talking for four days straight and making you feel like everything's falling apart once again), how do you know if you should be persistent and keep fighting for the only one you love, or give up once and for all?

15

Most Helpful Guy

• this is just a random thing and I never told this to anyone: but maybe have you both assign a 3rd party observer. like someone who can listen to both sides. it may be just external factors or things you both can't control. so if you both have a known observer he/she can help mediate the issues by listening to both of you.
    maybe the problems are misunderstandings and completely unintentional from both parts.

• to add on to what I was saying.. at the end of the storm, having persistence will feel worthwhile.

Most Helpful Girl

• When they show no emotions. The opposite of love isn't hate it's indifference 😉
    Also you know it's over when they can go years without contacting you.

• I didn't read your full post so to add...
      I think you should move on. I was I a very similar situation. And I regret not calling it quits and move on with my life. This relationship is toxic and you will never trust him completely anymore. Move on! You will thank me years later. If he wanted you he wouldn't play games.

What Guys Said 4

• The minute you feel that you're putting a significant amount of effort more into the relationship than he is. Don't work so hard for someone that consistently hurts you. I hope you get over this guy honestly.

• The fact that your asking this question should be your answer. You are not obligated to be persistent if he isn't showing you the attention you need leave him.

• When they suck your energy away and cause stress.

• do yourself a favor and leave him. you don't need that push and pull, it's unhealthy.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!