The last step in getting over someone?

Inexperienced as I am in the ways of love, I've been struggling recently with getting over someone. Well, not struggling, but struggling to finish it off, if you know what I mean. I really liked this girl and I took her out and everything, but eventually she took the "nice way" out, which you know, kills, because you never know if she's telling the truth or not about excuses, so you think there's hope, but then later on you realize that she's probably lying. Even worse is that she "innocently" got back in touch and when I saw her again at a social event, she basically treated me even less than she would treat a friend or acquaintance.

It was at that time that I let go of the senseless hope I had for us and realized that her actions spoke louder than words.

I'm doing pretty well. I've been recovering well in the 3 weeks since that social event and realized I want to make something good of the situation I have and that she's in my past. But, the problem, is that I still think about her every day and, even worse, there's probably a stretch of half-hour to hour every day where I sit and brood on the whole thing, whether I'm driving, taking a shower, in class, or what. I would very much like to "not care" but every time I'm aware I'm not caring, I pull myself back and sit and brood so that I DO care. Is this a natural part of the process or should I try to consciously push these thoughts away no matter how hard it is?
The last step in getting over someone?
2
1