Single mom with one child, I might have scared the guy I was dating?

Hi all,
So new to the dating world. We are both in our mid 30's. I have been divorced for a few years now and met a guy, who I ended up really liking and sharing emotions with. We (well I thought) had a great connection. He shared a lot of personal emotions and background stories too. He was all around a pretty decent guy. We had been dating for a few months and saw other about 2-3 days/nights a week. The last time he came over , my son ran up to him and they played together, he even brought over a book to read my son. After son went to bed we were on couch and relaxed (side note, I had already had a few glasses of wine :() I asked him, where our relationship was heading, we hadn't talked about being exclusive. He snowballed after I asked him this. Saying "his job isn't steady, I have a kid, he might not even be here in a few months with his job, he doesn't know." Thats when I said, " well you can leave if you want to." I didn't mean it that way, but again I was drinking wine. He really then started freaking out, saying "OK, I am uncomfortable, I am leaving." He was crying when he left, not obviously but I could tell. I didn't hear from him for 3 days. He advoided my calls and text. When he finally called he said, " he didn't think we were compatible," but that he still wants to be friends and continue to get to know me. But he said he wasn't sure if I could handle that and asked if I could. He then asked if I had anything to say, which I thought was odd. Well I messed up and a week later I texted him "Hey, lol, when can we hangout again, I miss our chats." He responded the next day around lunch time "I miss our chats too, haha. I hope you're well". I waited several hours and said, "Im doing well, thanks for asking. Hope all is well for you too."
Basically, did I scare the sh*t out of this guy or what? Just looking for opions because it was like slap in my face. He also has not returned my stuff, which he said he would mail?
+1 y
So, I am weak! I asked him (text) if he wanted to meet up for lunch? He didn't respond until Thursday (today) at 11:00 am and he said " Hi, I need more time to thank about it... sorry for the late reply." Is this a good sign and what the heck?
3
0