I told my ex I didn't really love him, and since then I haven't heard from him despite him telling me he wanted to remain friends. Was I in the wrong?

My ex and I had only dated for about two months and very early on he told me he loved me and then a few weeks before he broke up with me (didn't want to commit) I told him I loved him. After he broke up with me, we went to lunch to talk about everything and I told him I didn't think I really loved him but had thought I did when we were together (after I asked him if he really had loved me and he said he did). He got really quiet and asked me "Why would you want to be in a relationship with someone if you don't love them?" Which I didn't reply to. I care about him a lot, and I want to be his friend, but I don't know if this mistake is the reason he hasn't contacted me.
3
1