I told my ex I didn't really love him, and since then I haven't heard from him despite him telling me he wanted to remain friends. Was I in the wrong?

My ex and I had only dated for about two months and very early on he told me he loved me and then a few weeks before he broke up with me (didn't want to commit) I told him I loved him. After he broke up with me, we went to lunch to talk about everything and I told him I didn't think I really loved him but had thought I did when we were together (after I asked him if he really had loved me and he said he did). He got really quiet and asked me "Why would you want to be in a relationship with someone if you don't love them?" Which I didn't reply to. I care about him a lot, and I want to be his friend, but I don't know if this mistake is the reason he hasn't contacted me.

13

Most Helpful Guy

• Hello. You did the right thing. He might have asked you to remain friends when he was still under the impact of the news, probably he just reassessed the situation and reconsidered his future actions. Don't blame yourself, "friends after relationship" doesn't usually work anyway.

Most Helpful Girl

• At least you told him the truth and at least it was short. So, hopefully in the future it doesn't hurt as much.

What Guys Said 2

• wanting to remain friends is just something people say. Plus, you crushed him. Give him a lot more time.

• Good for you.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!