Can you ever really 'be friends' with an ex?

My ex recently got im contact with me via social media and said we could be friends. He was the one that broke it off (years ago now, after a 6+ year relationship) and at the time I said I couldn't be friends - which I feel is still true on the account of too many feelings and too much history. My question is this: If you planned to spend your life with someone, can you ever really be friends? And why would you want that?

Most Helpful Guy

• You can, but that's not what he's after. Tell him to fuck off or say "I don't think that is a good idea, we shouldn't contact each other".

Personally, I prefer option 1...

Most Helpful Girl

• No I would not do that nor would I want him to do that because deep down inside if there were feelings, there is probably still some there

What Guys Said 6

• Nope, never friends with an ex. An ex is an ex for a reason.

• you can be just friends. There is this girl, we know each other for 17+ years now, so pretty much since my birthday, and we both never even thought about beginning a relationship. We are best friends, talk about everything, and it's just great to have such a good female friend because with her you can talk about other stuff you wouldn't talk about with men.

• yes a am friend with my ex you could say as she knew I have crush on her we kissed couple of time but she never accepted my proposal.. now she is married but we sometimes chat and i think i am a good friend to her she believes in me..

• Only if you never loved them.

• u can never be just friends

• Can be but both need to have the same thought.

What Girls Said 5

• I am having almost the exact same issue with my ex right now! it's only been a month since he "needed to be alone" and now he reaches out to me and wants to be friends. I honestly don't think I can. I'm trying to move past him, and all he does is stirs up old feelings again.

• I've never been able to meet with an ex without things getting sexual.

• I can't. He's my ex for a reason

• I've never been and I don't see it happening for me. But if the breakup wasn't bad, then there's no reason why not

• It's possible. My longest relationship was four years. We broke a year and a half ago and we started talking as friends again a couple of months ago and it's been completely platonic. Why would I want to? Me and him were best friends for 10 years (that's including the 4 years we were together). Yes, the relationship is over. But there are many ways someone can stay in you're life till the end. And it doesn't have to be as a relationship. It can be as friends. Of course, like any breakup, I missed him. Not just because he was my boyfriend but because he was my best friend. I lost both the day we broke up and if I could get that back, I'd be on board.