What does it mean when a guy wants to take a break to figure things out because he has attachment issues?

I have been "talking" to this guy for almost 4 months now and things progressed from being really close friends to friends with benefits to exclusively talking (just to each other). We had a talk about it which ended with "we are basically dating". He has been physically distant for some time now. Right before going away for 3 days he texted me from the airport saying that he is scared of being tied down and that I was getting too serious about things. He said he is scared of being with anyone and is not sure if thats what he wants. He said he doesn't want to lose me as a friend and thinks we should chill for a bit and be just friends. Does this mean we are done for good? Or is there a chance that things might actually work out?
2
1