Communication problems with my boyfriend - does he care about me? (kinda long)

I've been in a long distance relationship for 7 months now (I'm in NY, he's in Delaware). It's great when we're together. For the most part we get along, we have fun, my boyfriend is affectionate and tells me he loves me and doesn't want to be with anyone else. And I feel the same. But for maybe 4 or so months now, I've been very sad when I'm away from him. I know he misses me but he doesn't miss me to that degree. From that, I've made the assumption that I care more for him than he does for me. This really hurts, because every relationship I'm in, that's how it is. I'm very emotional and sensitive. He's laid-back and absent-minded. So anyway, basically when we're together it's wonderful, but when away, the communication is quite limited. When I say this I mean that I'm lucky if he texts me once a day. Sometimes he'll text me every day, then other times he'll go 3 days without saying anything. Usually I back off because I don't want to be clingy. And he is depressed and going through a court battle and he's very stressed. He also has said that he needs his space sometimes to be alone (I took this to mean that he really doesn't love me). We do video chat I'd say at least once a week. When I ask he's always said yes, and he initiates it sometimes too. I mean he does initiate, it's just that I'm the kind of girl who needs to talk to her boyfriend every day. And he's not like that. My mom and ex boyfriend said that.

So anyway, I stayed with him for a week and then last Wed he drove me up 4 hours to drop me off at home, stayed for an hour or 2, then drove another 2 hrs up to a concert/camping thing in upstate NY. We had fun and when he was leaving I specifically asked if he could text me more (I've mentioned before that I felt the communication was lacking and that I wasn't sure how long I could handle it if the relationship continued that way). I also specifically asked him to text me when he arrived at the concert, as it was late and I didn't want to worry. He said he would. Well he left at 9pm and 2am rolls around- still no text. I got worried and decided against my better judgment to send him a message. I said "Hey just wondering if you made it...I'm a bit worried. You're probably with your friends or sleeping. I hope you're OK. Love you". He never replied. He did say he was conserving his phone over the wknd so it doesn't run out of battery, but the fact that he never let me know he arrived really made me angry and hurt my feelings. I feel like he just doesn't care for me. He says he does, but when away, I just feel like he should want to talk to me. He says he misses me but then why doesn't he talk to me that much? He says he hates the phone and likes to talk in person or video chat. I feel like I spend 5 or so days with him, I sleep with him, and then I go home and we don't talk much. It makes me feel * * * * ty and crappy- like the relationship is purely physical. What should I do?
0
1