Is it normal for a guy to act out his emotions on drugs and alcohol after breakup?

My ex broke up with me about 3 weeks ago. It was sudden and right after a fight we had for a few days and he gave me no reason why. Everyone was shocked because before this we were so happy and both of our families commented on how happy each of us were when we came into each others life's. We only ended up dating 4 1/2 months (he has been in 2 other relationships and they both ended within a few months and he claims they cheated or were crazy) I haven't been in contact with him for 13 days, I blocked him and his friends on all social media and deleted his number.

My friend went to a party last night and she said that he was there and that it looks like he went off the deep end. He was really messed up (he smoked weed before) but she said that she had never seen him like this and that he was so messed up on smoking and alcohol that he was just laughing to himself. He also mentioned doing acid and shrooms this coming weekend (he had done these prior to our relationship).

He also mentioned to her that it wasn't anything against me and that he is happy single and isn't going back and it just wasn't going to work out and it was the same **** and he didn't want it.

I am actually handling the breakup pretty well after hearing that but my question is, is it normal for a guy to act out his emotions on drugs and alcohol? Is this a way of saying he isn't ok and the breakup effected him? Do guys put there emotions off at the beginning until the cool off?

Up until this point I wanted him back but now I think I am just angry and ready to move on with my life. It seems like he wasn't getting his way with the fight (normally I am always the one that fixes it after a small argument) but I was really upset about this and put my foot down which made the fight drag out for 3 days when normally its a few hours and he saw I wasn't backing down and he just walked away.
14
7