Do feelings really just go away with the label?

He was amazing and we have so much in common, we weren't together for very long at all but we both agreed it's like we had known each other for years. He said he felt he needed to end it because we only got to see each other once a week at the most and it was hurting him and it was unfair for me. He said he doesn't want to lose me and that I'm everything he has ever wanted, that maybe one day it will work out. He wants to stay friends and hang out, he said he doesn't plan on dating anyone else , that it really is just the distance. We talked for 3 hours afterwards even laughed like we always do. But after he was gone I burst into tears having it sunk in. He has always been honest, sometimes too honest but this time I'm not sure if he is. Did he really lose feelings for me or is he telling the truth that it hurt him , he used the word torture because he would be with me and then miss me too much. But my feelings Don't just go away with the label of girlfriend, so how can his? What should I do, I don't want to lose him but it hurts just thinking about being around him without affection, without him being mine. And if he can do this so easily doesn't that mean he lied and just sees me as a friend, why not just tell me that?
Do feelings really just go away with the label?
Add Opinion