Confused and heart broken?

My partner of over a year ended our relationship around a week ago and I am left completely confused. We have had an amazing year together with loads of great memories made, we just got back from a holiday and as soon as we got back he went cold on me, after 2 days of no contact I plucked up the courage to ask what was wrong and he dropped this bombshell that he doesn't know how he feels anymore. We agree that maybe the amount of time spent together lately has been overwhelming for him and so I tried to give him some space. Howewer he came back and said he loves me and knows the relationship is perfect but he gets the fear of life when he thinks about marrying or moving in together and that he thinks we should end things now rather than carrying on and him hurting me further down the line. I'm grateful for his honesty and not stringing me along but then he came round on Friday, he cried, said it was tearing him apart seeing me upset and knowing he's causing it, but also said I can call or text him anytime I like. He keeps 'liking' everything i post on social media and then on Saturday I was in a bar with my friends and he appeared and stood right next to me at the bar pretending he hadn't saw me. I thought I'd be the bigger person and spoke to him. Why would he come anywhere near me if this is how he felt? I kept my cool, turned down a drink that he offered me. He seemed ridiculously nervous and quite down, then he left. I am completely heart broken, I do not want this to be over. Is it worth giving him a few weeks or is it a loss cause?

22

Most Helpful Guy

• He wants to be with you but is afraid or a long term relationship

Most Helpful Girl

• This must be so hard and confusing for you, and I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. In my opinion, is in fact a positive, as strange at that sounds. He sounds like he really wants to be with you, and he is doing all in his power to stay apart of your life, even by just liking your things on social media. Men work in weird ways, and when the suddenly feel like things are getting 'too much' or the commitment is starting to show, they run, not literally, but mentally and hide away. But some still like to make themselves known so that you don't move on and forget about him. I think you should play is day by day and see how you two get on maybe just taking each day as it comes, maybe he will soon realise that you are worth feeling frightened and committing, each day is different and you never know what tomorrow might bring. But it does sound to me like he wants to be with you. Having said that, you are feeling heartbroken by his actions, talk to him maybe, be prepared for things you might not want to hear, but tell him how YOU'RE feeling, that is important too. And make sure you are looking after yourself in all of this as well. Heartbreak can make us do silly things, so just make sure whilst going through this, that you are looking after you.
    Hope things work out for you in the best way that they can.
    Good Luck & Keep Smiling :)

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 1

• I'm sorry :( best to focus on yourself