Should I stay and be his friend or should I just let him go?

I was dating this guy for seven months. Our relationship was good. Around three months into it, he got into some legal troubles. He was really stressed out, but I was with him every step of the way and helping him pay for his lawyer trying to ease things for him. During this time our relationship grew a lot since we spent so much time together and we knew we could count on each other when shit hit the fan. After some time things were looking up for him until he sprained his ankle. This stressed him out even more. Then two weeks after that, he was diagnosed with genital herpes. We don't know how or when he got it since I tested negative. He used to sleep around a bit before me, but nothing ever alerted us about it. This broke him; he got distant, deleted all social media, barely talked to me. Then a few days afterward he told me he wanted to break up. That he felt he was only dragging me down with his own issues, and now with herpes, he didn't want to get me infected. I tried to talk him out of it; hell even begged him not to leave that we could work through this. In the end, I couldn't change his mind. He said he loves me and will always love me but right now he feels he doesn't deserve me. We are still friends, and I occasionally help him financially (when he lets me). I just don't know what to do. I want to stay by his side through his worst as a friend since he clearly needs to figure his life out with everything that was thrown at him at once. But at the same time am I just setting myself up for more pain hoping that we'll get back together once things get better for him? I'm just so lost by the sudden break What do you guys think? Has anyone gone through something like this?

12

What Guys Said 2

• He is trying to tell you that having you as a girlfriend adds stress to his life and he needs to reduce the stress. This situation does not bode well for you and, if you remain, you will be used and hurt. It is better to leave before you learn to hate him.

• You should move on and concentrate on everything you have going on.

Don't talk to him.

What Girls Said 1

• Don't be friends. It won't be a true friendship